Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Temp Gauge

After just getting back from a great ride out through Glacier and then down and over Beartooth Pass, once again I don't understand the Air Temp gauge. Where is the sensor located? It sure isn't giving you the ambient air temp, near as I can figure it might be the air temp coming up off the road. As far as I'm concerned it's useless. Does someone know of a good replacement that will actually read the ambient air temperature?

Louie

Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie Champan
After just getting back from a great ride out through Glacier and then down and over Beartooth Pass, once again I don't understand the Air Temp gauge. Where is the sensor located? It sure isn't giving you the ambient air temp, near as I can figure it might be the air temp coming up off the road. As far as I'm concerned it's useless. Does someone know of a good replacement that will actually read the ambient air temperature?

Louie
Your analysis is correct. It is useless. The sensor is in the faring. Moving it outside helps a bit but not much. Many, including myself, replace it with an oil temp gauge.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

useless... on many models it is on the left side of the steering neck, looks like a black plastic plug

mike

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
useless... on many models it is on the left side of the steering neck, looks like a black plastic plug

mike
What he said. It picks up heat from the from cylinder. It is out of the flow of air from around the fairing, thus it is useless. I replaced it with an oil temp gauge.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have got lucky. Mine is accurate to a few degrees.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Useless is the truth. but if your already outside and over the age of 10 you should be able to guess the air temp close enough. My iPhone is a good replacement.
I'd rather have an analog clock to match the other gauges.
Oil temp is pretty much useless too, I mean, if its hot I'm not going to stop riding till I'm ready anyway.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
mmf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Useless. Replace with oil temp gauge or clock.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably thee most useless, ridiculous part on the entire bike.

I actually can not think of a more useless part.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol. Lot of love for that gauge in here. I replaced mine with the oil temp as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a REALLY accurate temp gauge that works perfectly all the time.....

If I'm wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and boots, and I'm sweating my A$$ off, it's really hot.

If I'm wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and boots, and I'm comfortable, the temp is perfect.

If I'm wearing a light leather jacket with the above and light gloves, it's nice and cool.

If I'm wearing the heavy leather jacket, the heavy gloves, and the chaps with the above, it's cold.

If I'm wearing the heavy leather jacket, the heavy gloves, the chaps, the neck gore-tex thing, the face gore-tex wrap, and I have the little heat packets in both boots, both gloves, and the full-face helmet on, and I'm shivering, it's really damn cold.

I think that covers it!!!!!

-My friend and I went over Vail pass a long time ago, it was 22 degrees in the shade, and we froze our A$$ES off! We stopped at the next truck stop and bought like 50 of the little shake-and-pop hand warmers, big gloves, and scarves........ A GREAT trip!

Last edited by Ray Lloyd; 08-07-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Temp Gauge