Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing lowers on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fairing lowers on a Road King

From reading this does not seem like a very popular mod for the Road Kings. Though some have done it. I was just wondering how much of a difference they make. I have had them on an Ultra Classic and RG Ultra. Didn't do much on the UC but could not ride without them on the RG. Just wondering how effective they are on a RK. Gotta admit one reason I am considering them is to add speakers and do a similar audio set-up as the CVO King minus the bag speakers. But if they add some wind resistance that is an added bonus. Just don't wanna add them if the channel more wind upwards.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't think they will channel wind upward. I think once you get use to them, you won't want to take them off.

Beary

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

My dad has them on his king and he say's they make a big difference. He took them off when it became hot only to put them back on a few days later. I think they good also.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I have them on my RK 2005, (wish i knew how to post pictures)....haven't taken them off since i installed them. I have the adjustable vents on mine trying to figure out if the engine cools better with them open or closed...i just can't tell without a temperature gauge which i don't have. I like them alot specially when it rains :-) Also very easy on off only two bolts, really great when I really want to scrub them clean.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

on my recent trip to the Smokie's I had about 500 miles of trying to figure out where all the extra air was coming from. Found it all coming up through the engine gard. Lowers will fix much of this.

I was also thinking the same, that would be a steller place to add some speakers...killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have on mine love them.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
jason12vb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got them on my 2011 FLHRC. They came with the bike when I bought it a few months ago and I hated the look...felt like they just took away from the great classic look of the King and I couldn't wait to get the bike home, take them off, and sell them to get regular lowers.

well, after 5,000 miles and two 1,000+ mile trips I still haven't taken them off. They do a great job of keeping bugs/wind off of me and I love love love the storage space it provides for things like spare gloves my bandana, or even a place to keep a bottle of water handy for the long rides.

Still don't love the look, but I'm married and not riding to impress anyone, the functionality has won out.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a set for my RK. I think they look fine on the bike, but I only put them on in early Spring and Fall for the cold rides. It helps my comfort level on cold rides but prefer to ride without.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

They make your Road King look like Nicki Minaj!

Attached Thumbnails Fairing lowers on a Road King-nicki.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I put a pair on mine shortly after buying the bike. Love them but they are not perfect in that my knees still get blasted with rain and wind but they keep the lower legs pretty sheltered. I wanted them for looks to make my FLHR more like the touring bikes do. Mine have the adjustable vents and I don't seem to see any difference with them open or closed but that's me.

Quick Reply: Fairing lowers on a Road King