Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cornering issues with a road king

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM
bartk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cornering issues with a road king

I have a road king custom from 2004. Since a long time I’m suffering cornering issues. Right corners are dead easy, but left ones are harsh. Takes me much more effort and the bikes seems to track different. When driven straight the headlight points slightly to the right. Bike tracks straight perfect ( no hands). Did the alignment procedure from the manual completely and find no problems..Alignment the bars and find nothing. I don’t know it anymore. Hope you guys can bring me one step further. Apologies for the “bad” englisch.. I’m from the Netherlands in europa.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That frame style is known for it's stability issue at speed while cornering.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markk9
That frame style is known for it's stability issue at speed while cornering.
That's crap. I have an 04 Road King Custom and it corners just fine.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 04 and no issues at all, taking a right I think must be easier and more natural but the more you ride taking a left will be the same, I guess I just never thought about it left or right my bike handles great.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 AM
bartk
Intermediate

i had the same idea Timmy B, but with the time it did not change. If a make a slight turn to the left , it seems if the front end of the bike goes straight. It "feels” differently if i make a turn to the right. Much easier and if I look to the front end, the bike actually goes to the right. Perhaps it is a optical thing or so. But its bugging me enough to find the root cause. Just wondering if I’m the only one on this Harley planet.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,656 Likes on 1,078 Posts

A few random thoughts.

If your forks are twisted in the tripple tree, the handling can be weird, even when aligned. Hard to check on a Harley with all the trim.

Headlight alignment can be just an alignment, or an indication of the above twist. Look closer at the headlight bucket, is it facing down the road, or is it pointing off to the side along with the light pattern.

Road crown can make handling very different left to right. The more crowned the road, the weirder it can feel. It can also make the bike pull, usually downhill.

How you sit on a bike can affect it. Some folk do sit cockeyed, causing the bike to ride cockeyed the other way. Weird handling can result.

If one fork tube has a broken spring or no oil, it can cause the wheel to deflect, especially on bumps, causing weird handling.

Tire wear can do strange things to handling. Especially uneven tire wear.

Cracked parts can be hard to see parked in the driveway, but cause all kinds of interesting handling problems going down the road. Especially rear suspension trailing arms.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Jager247
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask and police officer that rides a RK how his handles. It's not the bike if it's in good condition

Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
bartk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jager247
Ask and police officer that rides a RK how his handles. It's not the bike if it's in good condition
i live in the netherlands ( europa), the police over here drives BMW

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

You may have a swing arm bushing on one side that needs replacing. I experienced a lot of "fish-taliing" on my 02 FLHT in fast corners, and fixed it by installing the Stiffey. I think Rivera makes it. It induces quite a bit of vibration, but for me it was worth it for the handling improvement.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Black King
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Slap a True Trak stabilizer on her.

Quick Reply: cornering issues with a road king