Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cornering issues with a road king

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guy once asked me if I found it easier to turn right that left. He said he was more comfortable leaning one way over the other into turns. I said leaning into turns won't turn your bike. To turn right you push on the right handle bar grip...to turn left, push on the left side. If you get into a turn going to fast you will never make it by just leaning. Check your cornering technique. I keep my tires, air and spokes to specks and that's keeps things smooth and problem free.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 AM
bartk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting there... I had put the bike on the lift , and started with measuring my handlebars. They were more than 1,5 inch wider than the OEM spec. Also found out that the steering lock was broken. Seems a attempt of steeling my bike, and they crooked my bars.

that was step one.. driving was a little bit better.

initially the plan was to lose the dunflops and switch to commander 2. But nowhere in the Netherlands they are available Had read also good comments on this board on the Metzeler 880, and found out that the successor is also available , the me 888. Went for the 880.

Last step. The shocks.

mmm difficult one. i have read hours of opinions on this board. There is a hardcore group of ohlins fans and it seems that everything in between is , ehhh , rubbish? I went for the cheap short term solution to get a idea of better shocks.

Started to press the old oil out of the shocks ( Found the DIY guide on this board) . The right one exactly 10 oz. looked like thick coca cola. The left one suprised me.. was much lighter from color, also thinner and only 8 oz in it. Decided to put ATF in it. I weight only 175 ( 70 kg).

The test ride, with all these changes was phenomenal! So happy. Better cornering. Better stability in corners. All with all a much easier and smoother ride.

want to thank everybody for their comments and ideas! Overall this forum is great for re-sources and clear write ups.

Have a safe ride.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the bike always done this or did it change?
some things to check (a couple already mentioned): front motor mount, swing arm bushing and wheel bearings, also possible bad rear shock absorber, front fork bearng. also already mentioned, install a tru-track or tour-link after you have determined if the bike is mechanically sound.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your riding position in the seat. You may be sitting more to the right making left curves a little more difficult.