Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminal issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Default Battery terminal issue

Has anyone here had any problems keeping their battery cables tight? Seems like every other ride I hafta tighten them down, or I get that "hot start hesitation" where it feels like the motor ain't gonna crank, & then it does. If I tighten the cables before starting, no hesitation, otherwise "click" then a start. It's never REALLY "loose" loose, just able to be snugged up every time I check it. And no matter how tight I make it, it always needs to be snugged every couple rides. It is the original battery in my '07 RoadKing Classic. Questions I have are:

1. Does the star washer on the battery screw wear after awhile, causing it to come loose?

2. If the battery is nearing the end of its life, & I'm sure it is, can that cause the cables to loosen up, or maybe the looseness would not matter as much with a fresh battery?

3. Can you use blue Locktite on the battery screws & the hold-down anchor?

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 AM
eglidemike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Bud! I'm impressed you got it to last that long! I think it's the battery begging you to put it out of it's misery! Can't say about the washer wearing, but I have used thread locker on a few battery terminals. That said, I don't know if it's considered "by the book", but it didn't seem to screw up the current flow or corrode the terminals. It did help on the few I used it on, although it's been on friends bikes and not my own. I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head about the newer battery being able to compensate for being loose a bit more too, and I'm sure that old one needs all the help it can get! Hope my 2 cents helped.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only explanation I can give you Dicky is that over time the posts will (wallow out) that would explain why it keeps getting loose due to vibration. Might be able to try a batt screw that is a tad bit bigger if it feels wallowed out. Try runnin just the screw in without the cable attached, if it runs almost all the way up and has back and forth play, its wallowed. The star washer should also act as a lockwasher and give it better contact, after time I have seen them "flatten out" and need replacement. Never heard of locktite on em, hummm? Worth a shot I guess. As stated in the post above, it might be time to lay that battery to rest and get a new one, that one has had an excellent run for you.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure your cables and battery can't move separately. The star washer is not the optimal solution as it wears/digs into the lugs and no longer gives the locking effect. I prefer a flat brass washer + split washer behind the screw.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 AM
evolution 2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a new battery mine did that **** and shorted the terminals, the star washer is a good washer,you can go loctite if you plan on getting a new battery , i ruined the shitty terminals on a jp batter they were to soft,and loctite will twist the terminal if you ever need to take it out even the blue!
"dont forget the die electric grease/spark plug grease" it will fight water and corrosion, its best to do maintenance so you dont have break downs
but if you have a lil juice from the battery , and it dont start , you can skitch on a car or truck, to about 30mph and bump start it "if you are stranded out of state or town"