Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bike or Helmet Mount Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
How is the video quality on the GoPro? Is there a lot of shakiness from vibration when you use video?

Who uses the helmet mount? Do you like it?
GoPro 3 White edition user here. Just remember that with the helmet mount every time you move your head the camera turns also.Kinda nauseating when you watch the video, lots of moving, but using the camera in the "picture taking "mode will give you some nice shots.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM
pat401
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sony Action Cam HD. Quality is great, as is battery life.
I use a few different mounts - I have Ram Mounts for fixed use.
For the helmet, they sell a vertical-mount one, but I wanted a side mount, so I made my own by modifying the one from the strap-style headband to 3M stick to the side of my helmet.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM
AZ StreetGlide
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a gopro 2- and 3 silver...been using them for years, they work great while diving too..
I do like that dog tag mount posted earlier and may pick one of those up to try out

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I really like my gopro. These are a couple test run videos..... I can't wait to use it going to BBB next month!!!!!!

Using a chest strap in the first one, then a crash bar mount. Both mounts are go pro mounts.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the gopro3 black. I mounted mine to the windshield about 3-4" above the headlight using one of the curved stick on mounts ( same as the ones used for helmet top mounting.

At idle or very slow speeds (<5 mph) the video is very shaky but as soon as you're moving at all its very stable. Excellent picture quality but mounted forward of the windshield the recorded audio is mostly wind noise with minor exhaust sound. I may switch to helmet mount. It is possible to add an external mic if you want to drill a hole in the side of the $50 waterproof case , and purchase the hdmi external audio connector. There is no direct audio in, you have to use the mini hdmi connector on the side of the camera.

I get about 1-2 hr of video on a 64 g card and not much more battery. Maybe the battery lasts less because I'm using higher resolution?

If you plan to review or edit video using an ipad you want to steer clear of the 64g memory cards. The file format of the 64 g cards cannot be read directly via the camera connection port on Apple IOS. I suppose you could load the video to your PC and transfer it to an ipad via the sync cable, haven't tried. The 32 g card uses a different format and should be fine to import directly to IOS.

Likes? Size, video quality, waterproof case, variety of mounts included and many more are available aftermarket. I also like the polarizing filter that is available as an option. The stick on mount is very solid and I have no concern it will fall off the windshield. The video quality is very good even in low light conditions, or varying lighting ( such as in semi wooded areas).

Dislikes? The memory card is not included. Its a kluge design beginning with the lack of normal audio interfaces for I/O to the case impeding access to the ports that are provided. The documentation sucks and the set up is not at all intuitive until you learn the menu system and how the different video options interact. It took 15 min on the phone for GoPro support to figure out why my memory card wouldn't format. You can preview your shot using an iphone but you cant play back video on the phone ( this should be fixed in a software update at some point). If you want to see your video without a computer or hdmi monitor you have to spend $80 more for an LCD add on screen.

Is the "black" model worth the sale price? For some. It is high quality video. If I had paid for it I would have been pissed. I got it for reward points so it was less of a big deal. Though the lcd back, spare battery, memory card and audio adapter set me back $160 additional. Add another $30 for a 32g card so I can use it with my ipad. Apart from video quality I have to think there are probably better less expensive options for someone who wants quality but not necessarily professional quality memories of their latest action adventure.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

I have the Hero 2 and use Ram Mounts for the handlebars. Little to no shake/vibration. I use a 32gig card, class 10. I bought the skeleton case from GoPro which has an open side for cables. Note that the case is not waterproof when this is done. Not a problem for me as I carry the water proof case as well. Battery life is only 2-3 hours with high res so I mounted a Kuryakin Power Port on the bars and use a USB adapter. I keep the camera plugged in so no worries on battery life. I've run all day and not filled the SD card. The camera automatically breaks the videos into 3 +/- gig videos.

I also use one of those small microphones that come with computers. I have it mounted on the rear fender just over the end of the ProPipe. This way I get good exhaust sound and almost no wind noise.

I used this setup on a rented EG for an 8 day trip. Each night I'd upload the videos/pictures to my laptop. Worked like a champ.

Last edited by Deucedog; 08-23-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a similar mike to what you describe and a 3.5mm m-f extension cable. My plan is to tie wrap the mic out of site to the inner saddle bag mount and route the cable under the console to a female jack. That way I can plug the mic in via an extension to the helmet mount or keep an extension tied under the windscreen out of site for when using the windshield mount.

I also purchased the skeleton case but with the design of the black model it does not seem to help. The side openings on the skelton case are at the rear sides of the camera, the hdmi port is at the front of the left edge ( behind the front shell of the case). I'm probably going to need to both drill and ream the hole to be able to plug in the adapter. I bought a right angle adapter also but it doesnt look like there is clearance to run this inside the case and out the side or back of the skelton case.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

I've not seen a 'black' model so I can't comment on it. I had no problem connecting both the power cable and the mic cable through the opening in the skeleton case. Didn't have to make any mods to the case.