Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bike or Helmet Mount Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a helmet mount for it. The one that I have is a head strap that can be adjusted to fit over the helmet. You can also get a permanent helmet mount. My kids love it. I have put it on my helmet backwards to see my kids reactions while they are riding. I also let them put it on to get their point of view of the ride. They have also used it at the pool while swimming, while lighting fireworks on the 4th, riding bumper cars, etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Go Pro is the camera of choice, race cars, helmet cams, you name it.

Record time only limited by memory card capacity you provide and fps chosen.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser

On the video time, I am not sure. I have recorded some 20-30 videos, but the file size gets too big to share. At 720p, 1 minute of video is about 150 megabytes. So I usually try to shoot a bunch of small videos so that they are easier to share. The longest video that I have shot is 25 minutes, that came in at 3.8 gigabytes at 720p.

As for the helmet mounts, they come in two styles. The one that I have is an adjustable elastic headstrap mount that can be used with or without a helmet. The other type is a small mount that sticks to the helmet with 3M double sided tape.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks BuffaloLake! I think I'll go with the headstrap one also.

How long is the battery life when shooting video?

What size memory card are you using?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser

Battery lasts about 5-6 hours. That is both standby and recording with the camera broadcasting its own WiFi for the remote. You can also download an Iphone app to control the camera. I use a 32 gig card. Battery usually dies before the card get filled up.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the great answers. GoPro ought to send you a commission check. I've learned more from you tonight than I have from their website.

You're awesome.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Nub_Johnson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info on cameras, how are you mounting them to the bike?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 AM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some more GoPro 'stuff' based on my recent acquisition of a GoPro HD2 Outdoor kit.
1. This kit which includes a Wifi backpack (but not the remote, use your phone*) seems a very good deal at Sam's Club for $199. You will need to go to you Sam's to see if they have it, it is not on-line. While the latest GoPro is the HD3 and is much more costly, this model does just fine for what I want to do.

2. I shoot 720p 30fps and generate about 3.6Gb per hour. The camera batteries seem to last about 2.25 hours in this mode. However if you buy a 'skeleton case' you can power the camera via usb on the bike. The camera comes with a really waterproof case (I use it on my sailboat and it get's WET with no problem). When using the skeleton case watch the exposure to water.

3. This kit comes with several mounts but none are robust enough IMHO to mount on the bars, so I bought some RAM mount stuff for <$25 that is rock solid. I do mount the camera on a helmet when bicycle riding, but wouldn't want to helmet mount on the RKC when the bar mount works almost as well.

4. The video is very good and very steady. The files do take a bit to xfer to your PC. Best way is to remove the SD card and put it in the PC it seems.

5. *There are several apps that will allow remote control using an android phone. One is from GoPro and several others. Which one works best seems to depend on which phone you have.

Hope this is helpful ... Cheers

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the GoPro Hero 2 and I added thempiggy back battery and a 32g card. The battery lasts all day and I record at least 8 hours. I upload to my iMac and use iPhoto with the stabilization turned on and it is not shaky at all. I use the helmet strap and a RAM mount suggested by forum member Dr. Tiki. Do a search for him on here as he has much experience using GoPro.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

You might also want to look at the Sony Action Cam.
There are lots of Youtube comparisons.
All kinds of mounts, sale going on now too...
WiFi, phone apps, etc.

Quick Reply: Best Bike or Helmet Mount Cam?