Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult to replace cruise control set/resume switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How difficult to replace cruise control set/resume switch?

My set/resume cruise control switch is blowing my ignition fuse on my 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I have taken a good look at the service manual and tried to find information on the process here and also on you tube videos and have not really found much information. I assume that the problem is in the switch itself since the fuse only blows when moving it from one side to another. Also if anyone might know why would this switch be hot if the cruise switch was not turned on near the switch cover. When I first blew the fuse I was attempting to engage the cruise control when it killed the bike. The next time it blew the cruise switch at the switch cover was not on and I hit the set/resume switch by accident and it still killed the bike. I would think that if that cruise switch was not on that the switch in the housing would not be hot. Any info on replacing it would be most helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Soberider68 (04-06-2020)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Wires are run inside the bars...is that correct? If it is, I took all my wiring out when I ran the wires for my apes and it's not too bad once you've done it before..... that particular bundle is about six wires if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
My set/resume cruise control switch is blowing my ignition fuse on my 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I have taken a good look at the service manual and tried to find information on the process here and also on you tube videos and have not really found much information. I assume that the problem is in the switch itself since the fuse only blows when moving it from one side to another. Also if anyone might know why would this switch be hot if the cruise switch was not turned on near the switch cover. When I first blew the fuse I was attempting to engage the cruise control when it killed the bike. The next time it blew the cruise switch at the switch cover was not on and I hit the set/resume switch by accident and it still killed the bike. I would think that if that cruise switch was not on that the switch in the housing would not be hot. Any info on replacing it would be most helpful.
Have you changed grips or levers lately?....I am thinking there might be a pinched or bare wire in the switch housing...Or where the wires run thru the master cyl. clamp.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with pinched wires.... i had a pinched wire that would engage the starter when the front brake was applied...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser

Wires run down the bar not inside. I have not replaced grips or bars on the bike. I added a Zump to it(mounted on the left side) but that was done in 2009. I know I used the cruise last summer with no issues. The housing on the right side where the cruise switch resides has never been touched. The only other thing that comes to mind other than the set/resume switch being bad is that in the spring my battery was dead and if I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly that wire goes into the ECM. On my bike you have to flip the ECM to the side in order to get to the battery. Don't really want to start cutting into the harness if that is not where the issue resides.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Take it apart, clean it up and put it back together. I was having an odd issue with my Cruise light on my dash panel working sporadically. After taking the assembly apart to lube my throttle cable the problem has suddenly vanished and light works as it should. Don't forget to put a spacer between the brake lever and housing or you may be buying a new brake light switch.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM
01XLH
Road Captain

FWIW,
After I put the HD cruise control on the Glide, I had a similar issue with popping fuses.
A wire was getting pinched INSIDE the switch housing. I wasn't losing everything just the dash lights or radio maybe?
Two weeks ago I had to lay the bike down and I smashed the Set-Resume switch and yesterday it stopped working. One local stealer told me they can't sell any individual Cruise components for scoots prior to 2008 (not sure about that yet), I found them for $50-$65. [I got here, looking for ideas on using a different switch.]

If your popping fuses, something is shorting out and I doubt it's the switch itself, it's job is to apply voltage (or ground) to something.

Also my 05 Glide has a three wire switch, 08 and later, have a 2 wire. Another dealer told me the 2 wire supercedes the three wire, so if the 3rd wire isn't needed, it's "extra parts box" time. I have to completely go over the FSM wiring schematic to figure out exactly what the switch is switching.

Good Luck,

Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree with 01XLH. It is unlikely that the switch is causing the short. Using the switch, on a circuit that has a short is likely to cause the shorts. I replaced the black housings with chrome. I pinched a wire inside the housing and every time I hit cruise control, I would blow a fuse. A dead switch has other issues but randomly shorting out the bike is not one of them. With a shorted wire to the housing or elsewhere, each time you use that circuit, it will blow the fuse.

How easy is it to replace the switch or to take apart the housing? It is fairly easy, but there is a lot of little brackets, switches and wires in the housing and it goes back together only one way. Take your time and do it slowly. I recommend taking photos along the way for reference. Yep, I screwed up a few times and eventually cut throw the insulation.

The real question to me is why the wire suddenly has it's insulation off and the bare wire is touching the bike? Did you recently work on the handlebars or other areas that could effect the wiring? It seems odd that it suddenly cut through the insulation.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser

Thanks for the updates I really do appreciate all the info that you have been suggesting. Like I mentioned in a prior post the cruise switch had never been a issue until this riding season. It seems odd that a wire would have gotten pinched somewhere in the housing or down the bar because I have never touched anything on the housing itself. The cruise was stock on the bike I did not add it to it. The switch has never had any damage to it so I am kind of at a loss at what would have changed. I do wash the bike from time to time and thought that maybe the switch contacts were corroded. The MOCO does sell a new switch deal for the bike(see attached). If I knew this was the problem I would just swap it out easy enough but for 240 big ones I would hate to be wrong. Think I should just take this housing apart and go from there? Kind of nervous about opening it up.

http://harley-davidson.com/store/cruise-control-kit

The following users liked this post:
Soberider68 (04-06-2020)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
Thanks for the updates I really do appreciate all the info that you have been suggesting. Like I mentioned in a prior post the cruise switch had never been a issue until this riding season. It seems odd that a wire would have gotten pinched somewhere in the housing or down the bar because I have never touched anything on the housing itself. The cruise was stock on the bike I did not add it to it. The switch has never had any damage to it so I am kind of at a loss at what would have changed. I do wash the bike from time to time and thought that maybe the switch contacts were corroded. The MOCO does sell a new switch deal for the bike(see attached). If I knew this was the problem I would just swap it out easy enough but for 240 big ones I would hate to be wrong. Think I should just take this housing apart and go from there? Kind of nervous about opening it up.

http://harley-davidson.com/store/cruise-control-kit
That is lot money for a switch take it apart it has to be wire making a contact somewhere, it just took long time to wear out the wire insulation.It doesn't take much to pinch a wire. I would try every thing else before spending that kind of money.Replacing the switch requires lot patience and remembering the diagram of all the wires little screws holding plates and tiny zip ties its doable but very easily can be screwed.I have changed switch housing few times but its really not some thing I look forward to and if you decide to do it spend little more and get chrome switch housings will look very nice.

Last edited by Punjabi Rider; 08-13-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: How difficult to replace cruise control set/resume switch?