Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time riding a geezer glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM
typicaldenimbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time riding a geezer glide

My FXDB has been in the shop getting some mods done so I rented a Strret Glide from my local Stealership. Here are my thoughts and opinions.

I rented a 2013 vivid black sg.
First, the negative:
Upon first sitting on the bike I was expecting a very comfortable ride, but to my surprise I felt cramped. At 6'0" 230 lbs I'm not the tallest man on earth but I guess I'm so used to my solo seat and forward controls that the back support and mids just didn't feel all that comfortable. Also the stock 103 felt more sluggish than I had expected. I currently ride a stage 1 96ci and I understand that the difference in weight between the 2 bikes is prob where that extra power is going but I was expecting a little more "umph" when I twisted the throttle. Lastly, when at highway speeds 70 mph and up there was a CRAZY buffeting on my head and helmet from the front windshield! What is up with that?!?!

Now, the pros:
Having a radio was awesome! Nothing beats listening to tunes while riding. I also really liked having some trunk space for random crap (I.e. 6 pack or a sweat shirt or tools). Before I had even realized I had ridden 350 miles w/ very little fatigue and no sore ***. Yes, I know I said it wasn't comfortable when I first sat on it but I think it was mostly my not being used to riding in a proper riding position.

All in all I now understand why some guys prefer the baggers.

The next morning I dropped it off and decided to wait 10 years before giving in to the bagger bug.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by typicaldenimbob

First, the negative:
Lastly, when at highway speeds 70 mph and up there was a CRAZY buffeting on my head and helmet from the front windshield! What is up with that?!?!
I wouldn't call what the factory puts on them a windshield.
Even HD calls it a windscreen.
Looks good, but if you want comfort, most change it out.

Now, the pros:
Having a radio was awesome! Nothing beats listening to tunes while riding. I also really liked having some trunk space for random crap (I.e. 6 pack or a sweat shirt or tools). Before I had even realized I had ridden 350 miles w/ very little fatigue and no sore ***. Yes, I know I said it wasn't comfortable when I first sat on it but I think it was mostly my not being used to riding in a proper riding position.

All in all I now understand why some guys prefer the baggers.
Yeah, I went from a Fat Bob to my Street Glide.
I could have saved a bunch of money if I would have just started with this bike in the first place. LOL

Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Skul5
Cruiser

All negatives are easily remedied by spending some coin at the dealership!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
omaho5
Road Master

You gotta be my age to like love baggers.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

8" lrs ultra wind shield and the shields that attach to the bottom of the fairing cured enough buffeting up to 85mph for me. You are on a bike. You want to feel some wind, dontcha?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A stock bike is going to feel slow compared to a stage one upgrade.

No intake noise, no exhaust noise, and that rubber cush drive in the driveline suck a lot of the power impulses out of the bike. This makes it feel slower than it is.

A stock road bike gets down the road at a pretty good clip, but does not feel fast doing it.

First time getting on a strange bike, it will feel a bit uncomfortable. I would imagine that after spending a day on a road bike, your old bike will feel just a bit rougher.

As a side note, most of us do not consider Road Glides and Street Glides as Geezer Glides. That honor goes to the factory bikes that come standard with tour paks.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Buh-Bye.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

Bet your on one within 24 months

Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 PM
COZWV