Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black 2-1 Pipe Finishes - RB Racing disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Skul5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black 2-1 Pipe Finishes - RB Racing disappointed

I put a RB Racing LSR 2-1 black pipe on my bike this season. I had it on the bike for about 5 months and it now looks like hell. I figured with the 3 month production time I would get a quality product, I was wrong. The chrome plated fittings that connect the exhaust to head are flaking off, the bottom of the pipe is starting to rust, and the entire finish looks light gray with spots on it now.

I am debating taking it to a good ceramic coating company or just getting a new pipe with a good black finish. I am leaning just towards getting rid of it and cutting my loses and getting a better pipe.

Does anyone have a 2-1 black pipe that has a nice finish that lasted longer than 5 months? If so, what brand is it? I like the looks of some of the other 2-1's out there, but I'd like to get feedback from the owners on how the finishes held up and how they sound / any issues, etc.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts

Iwent with the silver ceramic on my Blackhole pipe, almost 2 yrs old. They said it would hold up better than black ,so far,so good.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Isalgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skul5
I put a RB Racing LSR 2-1 black pipe on my bike this season. I had it on the bike for about 5 months and it now looks like hell. I figured with the 3 month production time I would get a quality product, I was wrong. The chrome plated fittings that connect the exhaust to head are flaking off, the bottom of the pipe is starting to rust, and the entire finish looks light gray with spots on it now.

I am debating taking it to a good ceramic coating company or just getting a new pipe with a good black finish. I am leaning just towards getting rid of it and cutting my loses and getting a better pipe.

Does anyone have a 2-1 black pipe that has a nice finish that lasted longer than 5 months? If so, what brand is it? I like the looks of some of the other 2-1's out there, but I'd like to get feedback from the owners on how the finishes held up and how they sound / any issues, etc.
Ceramic powdercoat is not as durable as the polyester coatings but can take the heat from the exhaust. What I'll do is redo it every year it's only $80 with my local guy.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Skul5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Isalgue
Ceramic powdercoat is not as durable as the polyester coatings but can take the heat from the exhaust. What I'll do is redo it every year it's only $80 with my local guy.
I want a low maintenance finish. I want it to last a few years or more. Are D and D, Vance, etc. a polyester coating?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried to contact them to explain and see if they have some type of warranty for this? 5 months is not a long time on a bike. Its worth a shot.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

^^^That^^^

Or...get with "The powder Pro" (AKA JRK5892, http://www.thepowderpro.com/ on this forum) and have them coated...he does awesome work and "much" cheaper than replacement system.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Jarhead2269
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have read a few articles that say the same thing about thickness, this particular ones does the best job (in my opinion anyway) in breaking it down for people.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 351 Likes on 244 Posts

Could we see a pic?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I cant speak to a 2-1 pipe but as much as I dont like the overall design of my V & H Power Dual I can say that at 2 yr old and almost 40,000 miles the black finish is in perfect condition (heat shields and 4" blackout rounds mufflers). If all V & H hold up like mine Id say the finish is good

They do make a 2-1 Pro pipe in black http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/t...llsystem/47561

Last edited by XARAN; 08-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i almost went black when i had my pipes done. in fact, the slip ons were the only thing that didn't come in. said forget it, put on the chrome. not sorry i did.

Quick Reply: Black 2-1 Pipe Finishes - RB Racing disappointed