Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Voltage Gauge

How many of you have voltage gauges that read over 15 volts when running? My gauge always has shown approx 15-15 1/2 volts while the bike is running. No big deal, just annoying.

Took the bike to the dealership to get it replaced and troubleshoot some new engine noises while it was under warranty. Now I'm being told the gauge is normal. One guy says the noises are normal, another says they can't hear any. A whole day shot getting the trailer out, loading the bike, and then going to Florida to get these things taken care of. Not to mention I will have to do it all over again to get the bike back.

All they want to do is sell me things. Very frustrating.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
anarchy67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not abnormal. Your charging system is designed to put out more than 12 volts. A battery holds about 12.6 volts. if you put a voltmeter on it while it is running you will see about what your gauge is reading. This is to provide ample voltage to charge the battery while it is running acessories,lights,etc. most charging systems put out anywhere from 14.4-18 volts. that is just how they work

Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior

This is my 4th batwing bike. This is the 2nd one that stayed over 14 volts. This one is almost 16 volts. All my friend's bikes read at about 14 volts and so did my other 2 bikes.

2 volts is the difference between riding and being broken down on the side of the road.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

if you have a tender cable already attached to the battery, it is easy to check with a "real" voltmeter what is happening at the battery, otherwise take the time to pull the seat

the in dash voltmeter is notoriously inaccurate, and depending on model year may be subject to voltage drop by the loading on the wiring system.

Many of us use as a coarse indicator of what is happening, taking notice if the needle points where we have not seen it before...

The voltage regulator should keep the current supplied to the battery below 14.8 Volts.

Higher that that can damage the battery- essentially boil out the electrolyte.

Confirm readings with a real voltmeter at the battery- some current models have had voltage regulators bad from new.

ALL charging system checks give accurate readings only with a good, fully charged battery- a failing battery can skew the results and lead to misdiagnosis.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-31-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

Mine reads 15-15.5 volts same as yours.
I checked it with a volt meter at the battery and I'm getting 14.30 volts.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Finally after 2 days of bad news, dealership calls with some good news. They finally heard the noise from the primary side. It is a bad compensator. They're replacing it and throwing in a new voltage gauge.

It pays to be persistent but sure wore me out.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
Finally after 2 days of bad news, dealership calls with some good news. They finally heard the noise from the primary side. It is a bad compensator. They're replacing it and throwing in a new voltage gauge.

It pays to be persistent but sure wore me out.
That's GOOD news, right there.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PV shows my bike at 14.2 volts when my gauge shows around 15. I noticed that the angle I am looking at the gauge makes it look higher than it is (looking down at it), but think it is normal for it to appear high. I would be more worried if I was running high rpm and it showed low voltage.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Those voltmeters are not very accurate. If they show strange numbers that is the cue to get your multimeter out! There's no guarantee a replacement will be more accurate.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ensure once you've confirmed the voltage across the battery @ 14.5 vdc that you use the higher gauge indication as a reference.

In other words if the gauge begins indicating 14.5 vdc then you have a problem with the charging system.

Quick Reply: Voltage Gauge