Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I swapped bars......my advice for you!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013 | 10:05 PM
TexFF
|
Road Master
Default I swapped bars......my advice for you!

Let me preface this with THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE. This will be my advice to whomever cares to read it. Went from stock handlebars on my '09 SG to KW Sweepers +2(300811's). My plan was internal wiring. My plan was this taking a max of 4.5 hrs. I changed to apes on my '11 Forty-Eight. I knew it would NOT be the same due to the fairing, wiring, etc. I took everything apart while waiting for my new bars & clutch cable to arrive. After going thru the paces of removing all the wiring from both left & right 'plugs' so I could run them internally I realized it was a massive waste of time. Once the new bars arrived I soon found out I was not going to be able to wire them internally due to the TBW. The TBW gave me enough hassle that I figured there's no way for me to run the throttle side wiring inside the bars. So I 'pligged' all the wires back into their respective 'plugs' & went from there. The clutch cable arrived & I ran it thru the fairing but was having a huge gathering that night so put the fairing back on. DON'T do that!!! Words of wisdom:
1) lay clutch cable flat on ground so it can be tightened to tranny
2) put bike on 2x6's or you'll waste enough tranny fluid it won't register on dipstick(now I'm waiting on another qt. of Red Line to show up)
3) you CAN use a rope to pull clutch cable thru fairing w/out removing it
4) HD didn't supply a new o-ring for clutch so buy one!
5) take your time & love your children

Take all this w/a grain of salt. Hope this helps someone in the future!!!!!

Old 07-31-2013 | 04:09 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

So how do you like the bars?

Old 07-31-2013 | 04:17 AM
RussH
Tourer

Why could you not run the TBW wires internally? Just asking.

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:32 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Internal wires in the Sweepers on my '09. Not a lot of room on the throtttle side but very doable. I really like the sweepers. Hope they work out good for you.

Old 07-31-2013 | 10:12 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah the TBW plug and the loose black plug poses a challenge. Many including myself just cut the green plug and spliced it. The black plug is for heated grips and I carefully sniped that line at the TBW unit. Oh and if your trying to run all that wiring in a 1" bar.....forget it, you'll need a fatter bar. If everything runs when you fire it up your golden, what did you think of bars?

Old 07-31-2013 | 10:53 AM
psychocircus
Road Master

Changed Mine To Ergo Up Bars And Had No Issue Getting All Wires On Both Sides Going Through Including The PluGs On Tbw . Take Your Time.

Old 07-31-2013 | 11:27 AM
TexFF
|
Road Master

I couldn't wire internally due to the green plug+ the black plug+ all the wires from the controls. For those of you that did it, you must have removed the green & black plugs. Even staggering them it was just too much to fit into a 1" bar. As far as if I like the bars or not, not sure yet. They do feel a lot more comfortable but when I removed tranny cover I lost too much fluid(bikes lowered) & had to order more(all sold out locally).

Old 07-31-2013 | 01:01 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

It can be done with 1" bars but it is tight and a PITA, but can be done. There are a few guys with Heritage Style Bars (1") that I ride with and they have done internal wiring.

Old 07-31-2013 | 03:54 PM
AcesOverEights
Tourer

I went internally with the TBW wires on my +2 sweepers. Maybe I just got lucky and it went like it was supposed to.

Old 07-31-2013 | 04:14 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Larger diameter bars still go down to 1" at both ends. So shouldn't that be a non-issue? Well, I guess it does give more room for play at corners. Sorry to hear ya couldn't get it run internal.

Quick Reply: I swapped bars......my advice for you!