Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First experience purchasing a new harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013 | 06:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by lgenf
sorry, but you didn't notice your keys didn't have a key fob?

not sure how no security is an oversight?
I'm with this. If you're gonna spend 15-20K on a motorcycle you have an obligation to educate yourself. Anybody who's been riding Harley's all their life should know that motorcycle sales people don't know anything about motorcycles (in depth anyway).

If you don't know what you're buying because you didn't do your due diligence, then stuff like that is gonna happen. You're bound to trip and fall if you walk around blind.

Old 08-10-2013 | 06:44 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

HD in Revere Ma, is good, but Monty's, in East Bridgewater SUCKS! the distance between them is 25 miles and hours of traffic, but I will sit in searing heat and super trafic before I go to Monty's. They act like I'm doing tghem a favor and I hate that.

Old 08-10-2013 | 07:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by shovelrog
I've ridden Harleys all my life. I started out riding Triumphs and I have owned a few shovelheads. Recently I decided to sell my 1994 Heritage and buy a 2013 FLHR with abs.
I found one with abs at a local dealer. When I picked up the bike we discovered it had abs and no security. I wasn't happy seeing how the two come together and I would have paid less without security. The next day I called the dealer up and they told me they ran the vin# and that it didn't come with security only abs, BULLSHIT! I called HD and to make a long story short I had to call the dealer back and show them the error of their ways. Now when they get the security system in I've got to drive all the way back there to have it installed no charge of course. And to think they're hoping for a good review from me. I think they should have known their product better. And I think they owe me maybe some in store credit for the inconvenience. Needless to say this isn't the dealer I would return to for sevice.
We get a steady trickle of new members joining HDF just to have a moan. Let us know when things are sorted out. Hopefully with the passage of time your lovely new bike will put a smile on your face and you can post something positive!

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:17 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
We get a steady trickle of new members joining HDF just to have a moan. Let us know when things are sorted out. Hopefully with the passage of time your lovely new bike will put a smile on your face and you can post something positive!
I've noticed that too Mr. Brown. One post and they're gone.

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:40 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'm with this. If you're gonna spend 15-20K on a motorcycle you have an obligation to educate yourself. Anybody who's been riding Harley's all their life should know that motorcycle sales people don't know anything about motorcycles (in depth anyway).

If you don't know what you're buying because you didn't do your due diligence, then stuff like that is gonna happen. You're bound to trip and fall if you walk around blind.
My dealer had a checklist and went over every feature including the accessories I had them install. I had my own list. They matched and life was good. Could never see myself spending 22k and just driving it away without going over the entire bike. About a half an hour with the tech and I spent 20 minutes after that familiarizing myself thoroughly. As you said, due dilligence ...

Old 08-10-2013 | 08:50 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
sorry, but this doesn't really tell us anything. fxdc with abs/sec is about $15000. with $5000 down, financing at $500 per mo, that should pay it off in about 2 years. now take that $15000, sub down payment of $1500 and that leaves $13,500 financed. at monthly payments of $230, that'll take you 5 years + to pay off.

financing and monthly notes are not what make a good deal. the bottom line is whats important. hell, you could have gone out to 84 months and dropped your note even more, but do you want to be paying on that bike for the next 7 years?

Sorry, the bike price was $14,500 initial interest rate was something stupid like 12% and it included a "maintenance plan"....

Old 08-10-2013 | 09:12 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Not seeing the grief really........The dealership is going to correct the error at no charge to you right? The only issue is you have to go back to the dealer to have it done, again at no cost to you right? So use the trip down there as an excuse to put some miles on, have a nice lunch with your wife or gf and just enjoy the day out.

Old 08-10-2013 | 09:37 AM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wndchsr2
Not seeing the grief really........The dealership is going to correct the error at no charge to you right? The only issue is you have to go back to the dealer to have it done, again at no cost to you right? So use the trip down there as an excuse to put some miles on, have a nice lunch with your wife or gf and just enjoy the day out.
Great attitude. Very impressive.
If we could all default to this style of approach to challenges in life, life would sure feel easier.

I am going to try harder. After reading all these threads, then lastly reading yours, man, what a great ending.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2013 | 10:34 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by danny54
I bought my 2011 ultra without security,Dont need the hassels of security, just lock the forks. Last time I rode with a friend, coud'nt get his bike started because of malfunctioning security.
THIS ^^^^^^

I would have asked for a credit. IF someone wants the bike they will take it. There are pros who steal Harleys in seconds. All the extra non engine electronics needed related to starting the bike are not worth the hassle. Seems There are enough issues once it's started with the new stuff

Old 08-10-2013 | 11:44 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

When I ordered my Electra Glide Classic with ABS it also added the security. They came as a package, there was no option to order it with only one or the other.

Quick Reply: First experience purchasing a new harley