Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First experience purchasing a new harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013 | 04:53 PM
danny54
Tourer

I bought my 2011 ultra without security,Dont need the hassels of security, just lock the forks. Last time I rode with a friend, coud'nt get his bike started because of malfunctioning security.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:01 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

When I was first negotiating on my 2012 FXDC, the initial payment plan was $500/month with $5000 down....

It took them all day to get the payments down to $230/month and $1500 down with a $1500 trade in.

They only came up with a "good deal" after I was saying thanks but no thanks and walking out the door.

I still feel I didn't get the best deal. My first brand new vehicle purchase and it'll be my last.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:05 PM
Sagido
Tourer

My dealership has always treated me right. I would always buy used bikes, and just use them for service. Then came along a bike I wanted new, 2013 FLHTK Anniversary. Didn't get what I wanted on my trade, but they have made up for it as far as overall dealer experience.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:11 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
When I was first negotiating on my 2012 FXDC, the initial payment plan was $500/month with $5000 down....

It took them all day to get the payments down to $230/month and $1500 down with a $1500 trade in.

They only came up with a "good deal" after I was saying thanks but no thanks and walking out the door.

I still feel I didn't get the best deal. My first brand new vehicle purchase and it'll be my last.
I negotiated 3.9% down from 7.9% by threatening to get my own financing and not closing the sale that day. Funny how much room there is to negotiate while walking out the door :-). I did have an alternative finance option for 2.75% but I liked just getting it done at that moment. One stop shopping is convenient.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:23 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain

I buy used, let someone else take the initial depreciation and add extras and get the bugs worked out. Works for me.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:38 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ftworthcowboy
I buy used, let someone else take the initial depreciation and add extras and get the bugs worked out. Works for me.
I see that point but I have always bought new. Probably because I have the money to do so, but also I just like to think it is mine and was never someone else's.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:48 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by shovelrog
I've ridden Harleys all my life. I started out riding Triumphs and I have owned a few shovelheads. Recently I decided to sell my 1994 Heritage and buy a 2013 FLHR with abs.
I found one with abs at a local dealer. When I picked up the bike we discovered it had abs and no security. I wasn't happy seeing how the two come together and I would have paid less without security. The next day I called the dealer up and they told me they ran the vin# and that it didn't come with security only abs, BULLSHIT! I called HD and to make a long story short I had to call the dealer back and show them the error of their ways. Now when they get the security system in I've got to drive all the way back there to have it installed no charge of course. And to think they're hoping for a good review from me. I think they should have known their product better. And I think they owe me maybe some in store credit for the inconvenience. Needless to say this isn't the dealer I would return to for sevice.
First off congrats on the new King and second that's total crap them not accepting responsibility and telling you the ABS doesn't come with security. I am glad everything worked out but I agree with you I would never go back to that dealership again.

Old 08-09-2013 | 05:52 PM
CajunGlide03
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Guess they "can't all be jewels" but I am happy with my dealer here in Lake Chuck after dealing with them for over three years and buying a 2013 bike from them in April.

Old 08-09-2013 | 06:45 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by danny54
I bought my 2011 ultra without security,Dont need the hassels of security, just lock the forks. Last time I rode with a friend, coud'nt get his bike started because of malfunctioning security.
They HD security system is as slick as they come. It would be difficult for me to buy a new Harley without it now. Even my 883L has it.

Anyone that has the security system and doesn't have the little card in their wallet with the override code is just rolling the dice. Someday the FOB battery will go south or you will be in a high RF interference zone, and will need the override.

Old 08-10-2013 | 02:28 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC

sorry, but this doesn't really tell us anything. fxdc with abs/sec is about $15000. with $5000 down, financing at $500 per mo, that should pay it off in about 2 years. now take that $15000, sub down payment of $1500 and that leaves $13,500 financed. at monthly payments of $230, that'll take you 5 years + to pay off.

financing and monthly notes are not what make a good deal. the bottom line is whats important. hell, you could have gone out to 84 months and dropped your note even more, but do you want to be paying on that bike for the next 7 years?

Quick Reply: First experience purchasing a new harley