Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cig lighter socket not working..help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013 | 07:01 AM
Jeffk48867
|
Intermediate
Default Cig lighter socket not working..help

Hey guys. The cig lighter socket isn't working on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I checked for 12v to it : none. I checked the fuse (manual says 15 amp in #8 slot) : good. Anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-30-2013 | 07:11 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Jeff, pop the outer fairing off and make sure the hot wire is plugged in. Here is a link. Its the 4th picture, it shows the wire that needs to be plugged in. Hope this helps you out man. Stay safe.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/chass...-pictures.html

Old 07-30-2013 | 07:17 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Just in case, I have to point out the obvious first.
Do you have the ignition switch turned on?

The socket isn't "hot" unless the ignition is on.

Old 07-30-2013 | 08:56 AM
ITGUY
Cruiser
Default same issue

I am having the same issue. I took it to Harley and the service guy told me since I used the cigarette lighter to power my GPS that I burned the unit out. I asked if her ment the fuse and he said he ment the unit itself in the fairing. He told me I would have to purchase a new unit and have it installed. Does this sound like crap or the truth???

Eric

Old 07-30-2013 | 09:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ITGUY
I am having the same issue. I took it to Harley and the service guy told me since I used the cigarette lighter to power my GPS that I burned the unit out. I asked if her ment the fuse and he said he ment the unit itself in the fairing. He told me I would have to purchase a new unit and have it installed. Does this sound like crap or the truth???

Eric
Now that's some funny chit there! Damn parts changers!

You don't burn out a cig light plug, but an element (the part you light your cig with) yes. You either have power to it or you don't. If you don't then either a fuse or a wire somewhere. If you do, then more than likely the outer prongs inside the cig lighter housing are out of wack and need to be adjusted.

Old 07-30-2013 | 09:34 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

No power at the end of the wire, right? Either the fuse or follow the wire and look for damage. Change the fuse anyway, even if it looks ok.

Old 07-30-2013 | 09:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

also not sure how you checked for 12V but if checking involved plugging something into it, that's not the proper way to check. use a test light or DMM. you should have +12v at the center bottom of the cig lighter housing.

Old 07-30-2013 | 10:32 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Eric
The next thing they're going to tell you is that you wore your handlebars out from turning them too much.

Old 07-30-2013 | 11:59 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

Eric
That's absolute bulls**t! Hopefully, there's more than one dealer in your area. I'd be done with those clowns.

Old 07-31-2013 | 02:09 AM
BikerPaul
Cruiser

I don't know about "burning out" the receptacle, but I know I wrecked mine with a cell phone charger. It worked for a while after that, but required a bunch of wiggling the plug in order to make electric contact.

Quick Reply: Cig lighter socket not working..help