Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cig lighter socket not working..help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013 | 02:49 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ITGUY
I am having the same issue. I took it to Harley and the service guy told me since I used the cigarette lighter to power my GPS that I burned the unit out. I asked if her ment the fuse and he said he ment the unit itself in the fairing. He told me I would have to purchase a new unit and have it installed. Does this sound like crap or the truth???

Eric
It does not only "sound" like crap. It is crap!!!! The heating element of the lighter draws a much higher current than a gps charger. If it was the result of arcing it would possiblly be damaged because of that but, if I was you I'd find a different "new-part-bolter-on-her" 'cause this one stinks!

Old 07-31-2013 | 06:29 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BikerPaul
I don't know about "burning out" the receptacle, but I know I wrecked mine with a cell phone charger. It worked for a while after that, but required a bunch of wiggling the plug in order to make electric contact.
this is the result of the metal prongs inside I was referring to. Take the fuse out for your cig light, take a small flat bladed screwdriver, go inside the housing and slightly bend those prongs either upward or inward (2 different styles of cig lighter plugs being used depending on year)

put your fuse back in and be on your way..

Old 07-31-2013 | 06:43 PM
Nute
Road Master

I had my bike in at the dealer which I might add I avoid as much as possible. When I tried using my lighter I discovered it no longer worked. I took the outer fairing off to investigate and found that when the dealer put the fairing back on they had inadvertently knocked the hot wire off the spade connector. While your checking make sure the polarity is correct. Hot -ve should be centre spade on socket.

Old 08-01-2013 | 07:37 AM
ITGUY
Cruiser
Default checking

Looks like bad weather around here for a while and I am down also for an elbow issue (found out yesterday I have a torn tendon) so I have plenty of time to work with it. I will remove the fairing again and see if I can locate the problem. I am wondering, now that i think about it, if my charger may have hit the tank when turning and that cause the element to become damaged? I will look into that as well and figure out what is going on then post my findings on here.

Eric

Old 08-01-2013 | 08:13 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk48867
I checked for 12v to it : none. I checked the fuse (manual says 15 amp in #8 slot) : good.
Are you getting anything at the end of the wire that plugs into the lighter socket or not? If not, why would you even look at the socket?
First thing i would try is to exchange the fuse with another one

Old 08-01-2013 | 08:50 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Mine originally was wired backwards... I bought mine brand new, and it must have been that way from the factory. As soon as I reversed the wires, all worked fine. The lighter element draws MUCH more than almost any device that will work in a lighter plug. Check the connections in the fairing.

Old 08-01-2013 | 08:52 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jeffk48867
Hey guys. The cig lighter socket isn't working on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I checked for 12v to it : none. I checked the fuse (manual says 15 amp in #8 slot) : good. Anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
put your test light to the side not the center...Harley built them with "+" and (-) reversed...my 10 was

Old 08-01-2013 | 08:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
put your test light to the side not the center...Harley built them with "+" and (-) reversed...my 10 was
that would be a neg sir.. if it was like that none of the accessories/chargers/etc you plug into them would work. If that's the case on your's you might want to change it around to where it's correct. + is the center

Old 08-01-2013 | 10:21 AM
DPelletier
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
that would be a neg sir.. if it was like that none of the accessories/chargers/etc you plug into them would work. If that's the case on your's you might want to change it around to where it's correct. + is the center
positive is SUPPOSED to be the center pin, but apparently HD built some with the wires attached backwards....and they don't care if you accessories/chargers/etc work because the company line is that it is a cigarette lighter not an accessory port. the cigarette lighter will work regardless which terminal the hot wire goes to.

That having been said, obviously thousands of us use that port for a GPS and the tech's assertion that such a use could have "burned out" the plug is ludicrous.

Dave

Old 08-01-2013 | 10:24 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

true.. didn't think about the element working both ways and it certainly will.

Originally Posted by DPelletier
positive is SUPPOSED to be the center pin, but apparently HD built some with the wires attached backwards....and they don't care if you accessories/chargers/etc work because the company line is that it is a cigarette lighter not an accessory port. the cigarette lighter will work regardless which terminal the hot wire goes to.

That having been said, obviously thousands of us use that port for a GPS and the tech's assertion that such a use could have "burned out" the plug is ludicrous.

Dave

Quick Reply: Cig lighter socket not working..help