Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Your plan/ride sounds pretty cool. You're probably gonna see some big temperature differentials though, pack accordingly.

350 miles for a hotdog. I'd do that.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like fun. I would recommend skipping the Dells. While it is fun it is over crowded. Instead head for southwest Wisconsin. I would head straight west from Milwaukee to the great river road. Ride it on Wi side cross over to MN and ride down MN side into Iowa. Make sure you stop in savanaha Il. Can not remember which one of the packers has a store there as well, next to iron horse saloon. I will get you some road names/numbers to take across Wi in a little bit, want to make sure all are open and not under construction. We have been rather cool weather wise this past week so plan accordingly. what is your time frame?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, it doesn't matter why or where you go. "Bro Rides" are great opportunities to spend quality "bonding" time with your male buddies. It's great therapy for the mind AND the soul...

Go for it! And enjoy it for what it is.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Python357
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,674 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Piggs
it gets COLD in Minnesoto, even in the summer.. but sounds like a great trip.. GL & KTSSU...
Yup, in the last two weeks it has been between the mid 40's and the mid 90's. This weekend is looking great though.

I agree with 06 flstfise, skip the Dells and follow the river. If you had time the north shore of Lake Superior is a great ride, but that would add a lot of miles to your Minnesota leg of the trip.

I would stay away from Minneapolis/St. Paul, there are a lot of road construction projects going on and the freeways could be a mess this weekend...

350 miles for a hot dog - I am not sure about that. A good burger and I am in though. Me and my brother rode 500 miles to look at the fall leaves last year, beat the hell out of going to work

Have a great trip

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

d-roadglidr- it's been cool here as well...but it'll bounce back...54 degrees a few nights ago, that's crazy for July in Kentucky...

06flstfise- thanks, I just saw it on the map and have heard of it before...I believe we will skip it and ride more of the river...use the dotted lines on the map....

FenderGuy 53 - you are so right. One of the guys going just lost his Dad last week...therapy is surely need for him, us too...we knew his Dad, he was a crusty old fart and liked him a lot.....

Phthon357 - it's a Tony Packo's hot dog, real cool place if you're ever in that area. I'm sure you remember M.A.S.H. on TV, that's were Clinger always talked about...the hotdog was OK, it was more about the ride and adventure.....got a hotdog at Hillbilly Hotdog in West VA too...home of the home wrecker. 5 pound hotdog....and no, we didn't get one of those...

We'll ride just about anywhere for about anything. Rode across Nebraska to see car hinge...someone build an exact replica of Stone Hinge out of junk cas...go figure? A lot of crazy stuff out there, I'd like to see it all, America! Don't get no better!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

We're all just jealous, Casper, that you have time to take road trips for whatever reason you want. If you go to Minnesota keep in mind that the state bird is the mosquito! 10,000 lakes means 10 billion mosquitoes. They attack you in swarms. Take plenty of bug spray!

If you took a trip to see Car Henge, you might like this website that lets you search by state for roadside oddities like that: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

TKDKurt...thanks for the link, sweet! Now I can see all kinds of crazy crap
And thanks for the heads up of the state bird, never thought of that...bug spray for sure..!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check my topic on my last trip.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...epic-trip.html

Places to see,
#1 My old house.
#2 Al Capone's grave.
#3 The Field Museum in Chicago.
#4 Chicago to the Museum of Science and Industry.
#5 Tilted Kilt in down town Chicago.

Have fun.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
Check my topic on my last trip.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...epic-trip.html

Places to see,
#1 My old house.
#2 Al Capone's grave.
#3 The Field Museum in Chicago.
#4 Chicago to the Museum of Science and Industry.
#5 Tilted Kilt in down town Chicago.

Have fun.
Nice post and better story and ride... I'll remember your format and try and do the same...

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Python357
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,674 Likes on 677 Posts

Casper, do you guys like Pizza? Its probably 5 hours out of your way (each way) but it would be a reason to head up the north shore. Sven & Ole's in Grand Marais - not sure where you would put the bumper sticker though...

http://www.svenandoles.com/

It will also take you past Split Rock light house

Attached Thumbnails Trip Suggestions-splitrock.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trip Suggestions