Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Checking belt tension

Any good methods of checking the drive belt tension without buyin a 36 dollar tension gauge? Mine seems tighter than I would think it needs to be.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen threads where people twist the belt 45 degrees each way to check tighness. I myself will invest in the correct tool for the job. My bike is worth way to much to be guessing on stuff like that and I dont wanna be "that guy" whose belt breaks because it is to loose or tight in the middle of bum f_ck Egypt, lol..

Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
I have seen threads where people twist the belt 45 degrees each way to check tighness. I myself will invest in the correct tool for the job. My bike is worth way to much to be guessing on stuff like that and I dont wanna be "that guy" whose belt breaks because it is to loose or tight in the middle of bum f_ck Egypt, lol..
That's my luck too. I bought the tool, and once you set it with the tool, you can get a feel for how tight it should be. No way to explain it other than to do it right...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well what I did was to get my kitchen scales out press on the scale pan until I deflected it to 4.5kg, just to see how much effort it took, then remembering that amount of effort, and how tense my hand was i checked the belt tension and measured the deflection with a ruler. Sounds insane, but like the above post says once you get a feel for it you don't need the gauge. I bet 9 out of 10 dealers don't even have one, let alone use it.

The reason I checked mine was because I was getting a nasty vibration through the footboards at one point on decel. I'd just had new tires fitted they had over tensioned the belt when re fitting the back wheel.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bit the bullet and bought the gage ten years ago. I figured it was worth knowing the tension was correct.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I'm one of the 45 degree 1/2" twist guys, haven't had any problems.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Any good methods of checking the drive belt tension without buyin a 36 dollar tension gauge? Mine seems tighter than I would think it needs to be.
Buy one for $26. Buy one for $26.
You spent how much on your bike, and you're sweating $26 for a tool that'll help you extend the life of your very-expensive-to-replace belt? Buy the gauge and do it right.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

When my 2010 Limited was brand new, I discovered that the belt would have the proper tension when the bike was cold, but after a couple of hours of riding in ninety degree temperatures the belt would be banjo string tight. With all I read about the primary and transmission bearing failures, I readjusted for proper belt tension when she's hot. When she's cold now the belt is a little loose, I just ride her easy till she warms up, the belt tension seems right. Knock on wood, so far no striped belt teeth, also no bearing failures. With my Evo powered Heritage, and my TC88 Roadking's wider belts I never had this BS over the belt tension.
So has anyone else experienced these new skinny belts tightening up when it's hot?

Last edited by jamesroadking; 07-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
When my 2010 Limited was brand new, I discovered that the belt would have the proper tension when the bike was cold, but after a couple of hours of riding in ninety degree temperatures the belt would be banjo string tight. With all I read about the primary and transmission bearing failures, I readjusted for proper belt tension when she's hot. When she's cold now the belt is a little loose, I just ride her easy till she warms up, the belt tension seems right. Knock on wood, so far no striped belt teeth, also no bearing failures. With my Evo powered Heritage, and my TC88 Roadking's wider belts I never had this BS over the belt tension.
So has anyone else experienced these new skinny belts tightening up when it's hot?
They're designed to do that. The tension spec is cold, not hot. Set it where it's supposed to be and don't worry about it.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM
NPW
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just set my belt tension on a 2012 FLHX using the gauge. Manual says to do it cold, and check at several different spots and select the loosest spot. Glad I checked several spots because there is a fair amount of difference between the tightest and loosest spot around the whole belt. And I gotta say, the "45* of twist" thing can't be correct. I'm pretty weak but when that belt is set as per above I don't see any way that you are gonna twist it 45* unless you are pretty fu@%in' strong.

Quick Reply: Checking belt tension