Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First BIG trip...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:42 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default First BIG trip...

The warden & I are planning our 2 week trip from Colorado to the110th celebration! Never having taken a trip this long or one one bike, I could use some tips.

First is on packing and what to take & what to leave behind. I don't want to over think this, but am sure there are things to avoid based on your experiences!

Second, we're going through theBlack Hills and then through SD. I'm sure there are some really cool hotels and places to stay in the area, but google isn't really helpful. Also, is there anything cool to see on the other side of the state? I really want to make the best of our trip and appreciate all help! Thx!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I practice pack and I weigh each saddlebag, moving items until balanced

get as much weight as you can as low as possible ( so any tools on the bottom).

you can always send a box ahead if you need clothes

some of us take stuff we plan on tossing- 'cause you know you will be buying tshirts along the way or at the destination.
I fly alot, all those socks they give us on the plane, I use on the trip and toss, so think like that.

the pack/stow bags can be good for items with alot of loft, like down or fleeces. jeans and t shirts will only compress about 10%...zip locks can work just about as well and cheaper.

if camping KOAS have showers and laundry ( wifi too) when I camp, I take 2 pairs of jeans, about 3 or 4 days of socks shirts etc.
doing laundry at the koa will help meet people

if moteling I often make reservations 200 miles and 500 miles out and decide at lunch which reservation to cancel.
if no reservations, you wanna get into a room by 4:30 ~5...cause at 7 pm all is sold out.

Sturgis area anywhere near the rally is booked up and motels triple their rates.

Get out now and do some 300 mile practice loops to make sure that you and the bike are up to this trip.

...and earplugs...for you!

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-28-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to bed bath and beyond and but an assortment of sizes of the "space age" storage bags. We can pack for 10 days using nothing but a large t-bag and one saddle bag on out Heritage with no problem, and with the room on the baggers, even more if needed. The larger bags you can either remove the air using a vacuum cleaner OR BY ROLLING THEM, so don't let that bother you. We always try to pack by clothing type...jeans in one bags (large size, air rolled out and the folded in half), t-shirts in another, and so on. Take a bag for your dirty clothes and as you change, fold and put in the bag. We've also been known to ship home dirty clothes along with larger purchases, save on weight and gives you more room as you go!

Might also plan a laundry night along the way...

Use the bags that fit the tour pac and the saddle bags, get a bag to go on the rack on the tour pac and you have MORE than enough room for the trip.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guy! Good info.

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Sturgis area anywhere near the rally is booked up and motels triple their rates.

Get out now and do some 300 mile practice loops to make sure that you and the bike are up to this trip.

Mike
We're going at the end of the month so hopefully the Sturgis dust will have settled! We regularly (like every other weekend) ride the Alpine Loop/Million $ Highway and put 250-300 miles each time. I plan on averaging 350-400 miles a day, and taking 5 days to get to Milwaulkee. Do you guys think that is too much for two-up? You guys with spousal baggage please chime in! I've iron-butted solo, so I'm not worried about myself.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

We only pack a 4 day supply of clothing. Do laundry along the way. Ensure you take multiple ways to spend money, cash, cards, travelers checks. Ensure your maintenance is up to date on our scooter. Sun screen, water easily gotten to while riding. AAA or hog road side is good. Small flashlight and good pocket knife.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Het yzergod, I sent you a pm

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Cigarmessenger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule number one: half the clothes, twice the cash!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest bring matches or a lighter.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

350-400 miles a day two up should be no problem. Did a few times with my wife, but of course depends on her comfort.

Quick Reply: First BIG trip...