Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35w or 55w hid help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by In2It
Curious if the your running a bi xenon bulb high and low beam?
yes I am running the bi bulb , works great , I did wire in a switch in the ground wire to shut the light off because I have read that the low voltage when you start the bike can turn off the ballast or blow it or something like that

Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly what I wanted to know thanks.Ray

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 AM
hellbob37
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for a headlight on a 13 street glide. Single bulb hi/lo.

Here's the site and product. This company has great reviews on several forums for different applications.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

The hi is activated by a shield moving on th bulb from what I gather

Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 AM
flhxmc
Tourer

If you are going to do it, I would recommend http://www.theretrofitsource.com they have a specific motorcycle harness. I called awhile back and they will build a kit with the harness. Their kits are the best around in my opinion. Good luck.

Mike

Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
yes I am running the bi bulb , works great , I did wire in a switch in the ground wire to shut the light off because I have read that the low voltage when you start the bike can turn off the ballast or blow it or something like that

I gather your user name indicates the machine you have. I have an 08 Road King and would like to do the same thing but I'm already using both factory switches and am having difficulty deciding where to put another switch. If you have an Ultra, I guess you had an empty spot on the switch panel. Most H4 bulbs have a rated service life you can find with a little research. Is there any sort of rated service life on the HIDs? One of my concerns is the extra opportunity for failure, obviously the bulb but also the power supply. How many hours or miles in 3 years?

Last edited by btsom; 08-04-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

A stock halogen bulbs life is rated in the hundreds of hours. A HID bulb is rated in thousands. The bulb does degrade though. Rare it will just go out. More likely the ballast would fail. Thats why I would only deal with a company like http://www.theretrofitsource.com. Matt is a stand up guy and stocks his stuff. DDM stock is in China last I heard.
I did a projector HID for my RAM from him and one of the locknuts cracked. I called Matt and 2 new ones were there the next day. You can get cheaper on ebay. But not that kinda service. Matt also hosts a forum for everything you'll ever want to know about lighting.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 PM
davidwneill
3rd Gear
Default ddmtuning kit

The ddmtuning kit could be backed up with the halogen bulb it replaces. None of the wiring changes you make do anything to prevent that. So, if either the bulb or the ballast went out, you could still place a standard halogen back in there to get on down the road.

I could not find instructions on their site (none came with the kit) that were specific to a motorcycle. (instructions were for car, two headlights).

You don't need an extra switch with this kit.. the same switch that operates the standard bulb functions to actuate the selenoid that moves the bulb in/out. You do need a power and ground source for the relay (there was a spare, switched set of leads in my flhpi that were not being used for anything, worked fine).

There is along, extra lead off the relay for the other (car) headlight. I just cut if off and taped the ends.

Used the 55-watt option, the light is very, very, very bright. I have since ordered an extra Xenon bulb, so I wouldn't have to use the halogen for backup (spoiled by the light).

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I gather your user name indicates the machine you have. I have an 08 Road King and would like to do the same thing but I'm already using both factory switches and am having difficulty deciding where to put another switch. If you have an Ultra, I guess you had an empty spot on the switch panel. Most H4 bulbs have a rated service life you can find with a little research. Is there any sort of rated service life on the HIDs? One of my concerns is the extra opportunity for failure, obviously the bulb but also the power supply. How many hours or miles in 3 years?
well sort of but have a 07 now and bought a acc. switch off ebay to run my lights

Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 AM
LoneWolf01
Cruiser

Running a DDM Tuning 35w / 8000k. Easy install w/ no issues. Extremely bright. Even on dark back roads I still haven't needed to use the hi beam.....

Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run 35 watt 6000k in mine, been running for 25k miles and no isuues leaving me w/o light. i did replace the ballast cpl months ago, the light started getting dimmer for a week or so, simple replce and all good. i love mine and have bee nrunning HID for over 6 years and no issues, only blew 1 bulb in my lifetime of them and it was my fault

Quick Reply: 35w or 55w hid help please.