Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 rkc break in

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Peteb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 rkc break in

hello all so I just got this rkc and I've already taken it back to the dealership for adjustments due to excessive vibrations only 150 miles so far , coming from a softail I thought the ride s/b much nicer but it feels like when I let off from any gear she starts to feel like its breaking buy itself and starts to shake while its slowing down they've tightened the rear mounting bolt and adjusted the belt that helped a little but it still doesn't feel right , I know im gonna wind up taking it back again but does anyone know what this sounds like it is ?

troubled !

Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
clembo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a softail and RKC. Without the balanced engine in the softail, the RKC will shake like crazy at idle, but should settle in beautifully at speed. The bike should be rock solid riding, much more solid at high speed than a softail. If you are not sure, have someone who has touring bike experince ride it.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if there is a true unusual experience;

determine whether it is road speed related ( and left turn, right turn, straight) or rpm related.

once that is determined then steps can be taken to solve it.

mike

Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Peteb
Novice

Originally Posted by clembo
I have a softail and RKC. Without the balanced engine in the softail, the RKC will shake like crazy at idle, but should settle in at speed. The bike should be rock solid riding, much more solid at high speed than a softail. If you are not sure, have someone who has touring bike experince ride it.

no , I understand about the shaking at idle , that's all good its when I'm decelerating it shakes too much it feels like its starting too break without me even touching them , other than that it is rock solid I love the handling and confident ride on it .

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the built in Jake Brake also known as a engine brake

Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Peteb
Novice

wtf is a jake break ??? really are you just messin? i'm a diy er but never heard of that ? if so how do you get it off of the some of a bitch ?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteb
wtf is a jake break ??? really are you just messin? i'm a diy er but never heard of that ? if so how do you get it off of the some of a bitch ?
Nothing to get off. He's messing wif yo ***. Engine braking is normal. Lower gears brake more on decel and will make more of a Jake brake sound. Google Jake brake.. Trucks use it.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Peteb
Novice

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
Nothing to get off. He's messing wif yo ***. Engine braking is normal. Lower gears brake more on decel and will make more of a Jake brake sound. Google Jake brake.. Trucks use it.
thanks man I really want to get to the bottom of this because something just aint right ! oh well another visit to my local Harley dealer !

Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I went from a 2002 Fatboy to a 2011 RKC. After 9 years on a TC88B, I thought that my RKC was gonna fall apart too. It vibrates a hell of a lot more at all speeds, but smooths out. Don't expect it to be a Softail and you'll enjoy it more. I'll never go back to a Softail.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Peteb
Novice

i hear ya, about never going back , but here ya go, i went out this morning and rode about 170 miles everything seemed a little bit better , just took a break from hd forums and went for a ride now the bitch is shaking in 2 3 4 5th gears again just like it was yesterday . it feels like its holding back for some reason when i accelerate and decelerate now.I think it feels like the chain or belt too tight or something ? i just called harley and made yet another appt. one of there techs needs to get on it and ride it and leave it in 2nd ,3 rd and 4th gear and just try to go slow , it doesn't feel right,. too much shaking ! i know its a bigger bike and at idle its gonna shake a bit more but not like this i'll loose every bolt on the bike if it keeps up.

thanks

Quick Reply: 2013 rkc break in