Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pull code from 96 Ultra Classic (efi)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM
nectsta
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to pull code from 96 Ultra Classic (efi)?

Hey guys, wondering if you could help.

My dad bought his late buddy's bike, and he's having some problems with what seems like idle control or temp... The bike will bog out like it's going to die when it gets up to operating temp or will randomly idle at a really high rpm.

I've been looking around, but can't seem to find any way to run a diagnostics check on it. If we could pull a dtc or something that'd be awesome. I called the Harley shop and get this... They want a minimum of an hour's labor ($80) just to pull a code.

On the other hand, I don't want to start throwing sensors at it. If you can direct me to some info on how to pull a code myself that'd be awesome.

THANKS!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM
duoderf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about the 96, but on the 99 if I turn it on and off 3 times, leaving it in the on position on the third time, the check engine light will blink. the number of blinks it gives show what the trouble code is.

For example, I have an intermittent tach code that gets thrown, the service manual says that the code for it is 35.

Once I turn the ignition 3 times, the engine light will blink fast for 8 seconds, then blink slowly 3 times, then a 1 second pause and 5 more blinks, then it will cycle again to fast blinking for 8 seconds and blink 3 and 5 times more slowly, (showing that the 35 is the only trouble code).

Everything is in the service manual.