Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike week advice?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bike week advice?????????

my first HD and our first bike week. any advice for a newbie on any area? im a little paranoid being my first HD and hearing everyone tellin me its gonna overheat?????????????????

where to stay-avoid-what not to miss-???????????? goin sat-sun-mon-tues

Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: bike week advice?????????

best advice...dont go...ride the BRP a month later instead with no crowds or problems

Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Avoid Daytona like the plague. There are things going on in Tampa, Orlando, and Ft. Lauderdale. Florida is a big state.

But then you could go to the Cabbage Patch, get drunk and stupid, and learn some things very fast.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
rustyrun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time visit the speedway attraction. A lot to look at. Then go west a mile or so to the Farmers flea market. Good buys there. As far as downtown, just find a parking spot by the ocean center and walk through the strip and check people out. It is a drag to sit an idle for the half hour it takes to go 2 blocks.
I have a bagger and love my bike, but don't have to show it off. I just go there to look at the babes.

The ride south to the lighthouse is ok.Riding the loop is ok too. Nice ride. http://www.daytonachamber.com/enbw/loop.html

And yes. Go to the Cabbage Patch, especially on wednesday. You will see many things here both strange and new. Definately worth checking out.

I live in Florida so it is easy for me to go but the Bike Week and Biketoberfest seem to get worse every year as far as idiots in cages and idiots on crotch rockets. They ruin it for most. Even some drunk bastard#$ that think they can still ride. That is what keeps the local law enforcement strict.

If you go, be smart, ride safe, and watch out for those cages. The noise seems to get them distracted.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

i actually live in orlando-just never been to a bike week. im going to cabbage patch-but byeond that and this loop i keep hearing about i dont know what else to do. thought about hanging out between new smyrna and st augustine area. how big a worry uis this bike overheat thang? 07 lectra glide classic.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...grab an event map at just about any "vendor"..free and will show you where everything is at and also events and times..I always carry one with me.
Later and have fun.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
CyclChyk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in the area why not got the first day or two NOT on the bike and see how others handle the overheating issue. I know when I went to Laconia Bike week there were alot of harleys parked on the side cooling off. Some would shut theirs off any time they came to a long wait. And believe me there we lots of them. Luckily we were on a Kawi (don't shoot me) so we didn't have the heat issue but it was pretty intense.

I've never been to Daytona so I can't offer anything beyond that.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just there as i returned from jax today ,and yesterday i posted her on what i saw.

today was bad . went to destination daytona and hard to park ,the parking lot has been taken over by exhibots and it has been removed to about 3 blocks away .

lot of fun

but i will not go during the actual events...............a circus bordering on a b movie .

about 19 riders got killed last year ,i guess drinking and driving ?????/
i do not know .

anyhow ,it is worth while to see if you have never been there

and i checked around for motel rooms and there are plenty even for the weekend .in th eroach infested motels they go for 125 but you may be able to drive a bargain specially the ones on us1 between intl raceway and heading south.

good luck

Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: ffb

about 19 riders got killed last year ,i guess drinking and driving ?????/
i do not know .
Actually, the majority of those killed each year are on rice rockets and/or have been riding one year or less.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

19 is 19..don't care if they were on a horse...seem's the routine is drink..change spot..drink..change spot...kinda has the potential for "bad things"..just have to be careful..still a great time..tons of cool stuff to do..and it's a big state..you can range out a little.
Later

Quick Reply: bike week advice?????????