Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Octane

Hey guys,This probably a question that has been asked before and to some it's probably a no brainer but what the heck...here goes..

Here in Malaysia we have a choice between the RON95 and RON97 fuel.While I had always been using the 97,of late it's getting a little pricey.My question is,is there an obvious difference between the two?I can't really tell from the seat of my pants although in my mind it says the 97 gives better performance.I do know a little basics like how the higher octane fuel detonates better and cleaner and so on but really,doesn't make a big difference?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

The only reason to use higher octane fuel is detonation. Modern Harleys are very prone to detonation (knock/ping) and the highest octane ya can find is a good idea. Harmful detonation happens before ya can hear it. When ya hear it it is too late. Damage has occurred.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
The only reason to use higher octane fuel is detonation. Modern Harleys are very prone to detonation (knock/ping) and the highest octane ya can find is a good idea. Harmful detonation happens before ya can hear it. When ya hear it it is too late. Damage has occurred.
+1 on this, especially in your climate where it's hot all the time ....

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1 though we've probably all had cars that have pinged & knocked and they didn't die if you didn't let it go on and on. So, not sure I'd be an alarmist about it.

My experience when I inadvertantly added lower octane fuel was I noticed it right away. Within a mile of my fill up when it was under a slight load going up a rise in the highway I heard the ping, and my mind flashed to grabbing the same fuel nozzle I use to fill my car. I refilled that damn take every 25-30 miles.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My operator & service manuals (2011 FLHTK) say to use:
Octane Ratings

91 [(R+M)/2] - or - 95 RON

95 Research Octane Number (RON) ~ 90-91 "American" Octane rating (average of RON & MON octane measurements).

If you take the manual at face value, 95 RON should be okay. But as others have said, factor in the higher temps, any performance mods, etc., and maybe that points to sticking with the 97 RON...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Who the hell is Ron

Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Who the hell is Ron
a buddy we had over for Christmas

Thanks guys,I've been told that it's quite the norm there to be on RON91 but then again you guys are in a cooler climate.I guess RON95 is good enough fuel for my use here although thus far I've only been using RON97 but I plan to ride a lot soon and sure is gonna bite into my pocket if I go 97 all the way.Currently it's RM1.90 per liter for RON95 and a whopping RM2.70 per liter for the RON97.That's a lot of difference..Maybe I could alternate between the two

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

And I thought gas was expensive here.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by dansflhti
And I thought gas was expensive here.
First off..that's a sweet looking bike you got there buddy.

Malaysia is an oil producing country but we sell our sweet crude and use the crap and yeah fuel is expensive here

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

At the gas pump... If it has one hose for all the diffrent octanes you can be getting a gallon or two of regular when pumping hi test. It has to clear the regular from the line before it gets to the hi test. Screwed again...

Quick Reply: Octane