Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! brake light on all times

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013 | 10:48 PM
cityworker
|
6th Gear
Default NEED HELP! brake light on all times

I have a 07 road king. the rear tire (18") has rubbed thru the harness and shorted it out. it blew the fuses. I replaced the fuses, repaired the harness but now the brake light stays on all the time. If I pull the relay it goes out. If I pull a wire off the rear switch, nothing changes. I have the manual but the wiring diagram is not very clear on this matter. Any help would be awesome

Old 07-24-2013 | 11:21 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like you broke the switch. I damaged the rubber boot and plunger on the front brake switch and that caused the brake light to stay on. Not sure if the rear switch is that delicate. Otherwise check for a bad ground.

Old 07-25-2013 | 12:01 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Sounds like you broke the switch. I damaged the rubber boot and plunger on the front brake switch and that caused the brake light to stay on. Not sure if the rear switch is that delicate. Otherwise check for a bad ground.
Ditto. Front brake light switch broke on mine causing that reaction with the brake light. Check both switches.

Old 07-25-2013 | 11:43 PM
Biker John
Cruiser
Default Check Switches

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Ditto. Front brake light switch broke on mine causing that reaction with the brake light. Check both switches.
Seen this before...check both switches as said...

Old 07-26-2013 | 02:38 AM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cityworker
I have a 07 road king. the rear tire (18") has rubbed thru the harness and shorted it out. it blew the fuses. I replaced the fuses, repaired the harness but now the brake light stays on all the time. If I pull the relay it goes out. If I pull a wire off the rear switch, nothing changes. I have the manual but the wiring diagram is not very clear on this matter. Any help would be awesome
Like other have said it's probably the switch. On my 09 there was a recall on the switch and I had it replace. They do it even if the bike is out of warranty. You might check with the dealer and see about your 07. Might just get a switch for free.

Old 07-26-2013 | 02:37 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Install a spacer in the brake lever then pull the front brake lever off. CAREFULLY depress the rubber boot for the break light. If the light goes out, it's broken. I broke mine. Ordered another on ebay and it's the same. There is a little, tiny, itsy, bitsy tip that breaks if you look at it wrong so be carefull. I figured the new one would break so I put a dab of Black RTV on the break lever so it pushes the switch in. Been working for 5K now.

FLHPRK

Old 07-26-2013 | 02:59 PM
journeyman
Road Master

Sounds like a stuck contact in the relay