Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever happened to anybody else

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Ever happened to anybody else

siting at a light in nutreul, and thought i was rear ended,, what happen was the bike went from nutreul to into gear by itself,, scared the chit out of me,, grabed a hand full of clutch and brake,, never happened to me in 30 yrs of riding,, kind of a wicked feeling though

Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was your foot near the gear shift? Weird

Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen that happen to people that don't pull the clutch in when they start the bike up. That exact scenario has not happened to me. Good you were able to catch it quickly.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yellotang
Was your foot near the gear shift? Weird
nope both feet were flat on the ground,,,and was sitting there for at least 2 minutes,,wierd

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Scary. Glad nothing happened man.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

That is a first for me too.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had it happen when I was tightening my gloves when it was freezing out, I do not make a habit of putting the bike in neutral at a light, that day almost made me drop the bike.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years back, I was adjusting the idle on my '81 Ironhead chopper. Bike was on the kickstand, facing the back door of the house, idling in neutral. I was on one knee at the right side of the bike. I turned the idle adjusting screw, then reached up and gave it a bit of throttle to check it. The bike jumped into gear and shot forward, dragging me along. Since the bike had been leaning left on the kickstand, dragging me on the right side kept it upright. Of course, since my only hand on the bike was on the throttle, dragging me just gave it more speed. The front tire had been about six foot from the back door when we started, I managed to let go of the throttle about the time the front tire hit the door.

The door popped open, and the bike came to a stop when the handlebars wedged into each side of the doorframe. The engine died with the bike stuck upright in the doorframe. I was able to pull the bike out with only minor scuffs on the handlebars, the doorframe didn't fare so well. I don't trust neutral anymore...

The following 4 users liked this post by Buffalolake:
BelchFire (09-26-2019), blap (09-16-2019), DanHappy (09-26-2019), Zedbra (09-25-2019)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffalolake
A few years back, I was adjusting the idle on my '81 Ironhead chopper. Bike was on the kickstand, facing the back door of the house, idling in neutral. I was on one knee at the right side of the bike. I turned the idle adjusting screw, then reached up and gave it a bit of throttle to check it. The bike jumped into gear and shot forward, dragging me along. Since the bike had been leaning left on the kickstand, dragging me on the right side kept it upright. Of course, since my only hand on the bike was on the throttle, dragging me just gave it more speed. The front tire had been about six foot from the back door when we started, I managed to let go of the throttle about the time the front tire hit the door.

The door popped open, and the bike came to a stop when the handlebars wedged into each side of the doorframe. The engine died with the bike stuck upright in the doorframe. I was able to pull the bike out with only minor scuffs on the handlebars, the doorframe didn't fare so well. I don't trust neutral anymore...
Wow!
Hold my beer watch this!
Door frame saves HD!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

Originally Posted by brewdog
I've seen that happen to people that don't pull the clutch in when they start the bike up. That exact scenario has not happened to me. Good you were able to catch it quickly.
been there ,,done that to!!

Quick Reply: Ever happened to anybody else