Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain X ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Clearview does say it's ok though I'm still afraid to try it. I had a bad experience with another coated shield.
I know it's not ok with most coated windshields. It won't ruin them the first time you apply it but over time it will. I love Rain-X for my car windshields though.
Any kind of wax or Novus 2 or Plexus will work as long as you apply it the same day you ride in the rain.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I use Harley gloss. It works as good or better then rainex plus it has UV protectent in it, so your windshield won't turn foggy from the sun. I've even used it on my Explorer's paint. Kept it shiny for 2 years.,,

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,705 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Do not use Rain-X on plastic windshields. It is hard enough to use on car glass windshields.

I use original Pledge on tank and fenders, it contains oils so I do not use it on plastic shields as the oils will eventually disolve the coating. Some plastic windshields do not come with an original protective coating.

I use a water soaked wet towel when I can to soften bugs and them just wipe them away. Over the years this seems to protect the plastic coating the longest. I carry a wet and dry mini towel in plastic bags for cleaning on the road. Sometimes you get that great big orange colored smashed bug just below your vision. Sometimes on my helmet shield or visor. Leaving the wet towel on it for 5 minutes lets me simply wipe it off.

Once the plastic windshield starts to show signs of wear, I use either 210 or Plexus which were designed for the lexan aircraft canopies. Once the original coating has worn, these products seem to restore the clarity and repel water. Currently I have 210, but I believe that Plexus and 210 are nearly identical. I cannot speak to other brands.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,999 Likes on 4,190 Posts

Why are you looking thru your windshield?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Rain X on a 2008 Heritage Lexon Windshield and ruined it, fogged up badly. Before applying it I tried a small spot at lower edge of WS and showed no damage. Now I use S100 on my EG, works fine and really rolls rain off. I should have read the directions on Rain X bottle.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Meanface
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pledge maybe. I'll give that a shot. And FYI, my shield is a tall one, so it's a little tricky to look over.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,705 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanface
Pledge maybe. I'll give that a shot. And FYI, my shield is a tall one, so it's a little tricky to look over.
Tape it, cut it, sand it. Most ride with it cut to just below their nose when sitting comfortably.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meanface
Does anyone use Rain X on their windshield? Rode in the rain last night, couldn't see a thing. Can you use Rain X on a plastic shield? Does it work well enough?
Don't ever use Rain-X on anything plastic. Use Lemon Pledge or the Harley wipes. Rain-X will fog/cloud/mess up plastic.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Pledge has always been great on plastic. Good for pollen and slight dust as helps with static. Cheap and it work for other stuff in a crunch. In the bag with a micro fiber.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Rain-X will destroy the coating on a windshield. Try using Plexus cleaner/polish. It's one of best products on the market. When it's applied, rain rolls right off. Plexus is pricey, but one can lasts me an entire season.

Quick Reply: Rain X ?