Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT confusion

There seems to be some confusion about the SERT with some newbies so lets clear it up.

A SERT

Screaming Eagle Race Tuner or (SERT) is a tool used to reprogram the ECM. After the ECM is programed, the tool or interface is stored for later use. You can only use the tool or interface on one bike. It is married to that ECM and cannot be used on multiple bikes. This means that there is no module piggy backing the ECM. So what you are paying for is the tool or interface, not a module or hardware.

A PCIII (Power Commander)

This is a module that is piggy backed to the ECM. The programming is stored in the module not the ECM. If the module fails the tune is gone however if you remove the module and reconnect the ECM solo the factory tune is still there. If the ECM failsit will not matter what type of tuner or module you are using you will not be riding that bike anywhere.

There are several different types of fuel management system available. All I believe piggy back the ECM except for the SERT.

Now, when comparing prices to a SERT-vs- PCIII I don't think it's fair to compare these to each other. A SERT is a tool used to obtain a custom tune. Although a PCIII is also used to obtain a custom tune it is a module. An additional piece of hardware that stays on the bike. It is exposed to all the elements however is not as rugged as the ECM. So use whatever makes you happy. I personally use a SERT. This is what I prefer. They don't fail unless the ECM does which is not likely.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: SERT confusion

Hmmmm.......silly me, I thought a SERT was a breath mint.

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya learn somethin' new every day on HDF! Phil, ya forgot to mention 2 auto-tuning systems that REPLACE the factory ECM....ThunderMax & DTT! As for prices, newbies DARE to compare...I prefer PCIII. Also MOST important...the experience of the tuning technician.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Ya learn somethin' new every day on HDF! Phil, ya forgot to mention 2 auto-tuning systems that REPACE the factory ECM....ThunderMax & DTT! As for prices, newbies DARE to compare...I prefer PCIII. Also MOST important...the experience of the tuning technician.
Oh, yea, what BH said. Do some research on all the products there is a lot out there.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bh
so if thundermax replaces my ecm, can i sell my ecm with my sert

shawn

Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: strtgld

There seems to be some confusion about the SERT with some newbies so lets clear it up.

A SERT

Screaming Eagle Race Tuner or (SERT) is a tool used to reprogram the ECM. After the ECM is programed, the tool or interface is stored for later use. You can only use the tool or interface on one bike. It is married to that ECM and cannot be used on multiple bikes. This means that there is no module piggy backing the ECM. So what you are paying for is the tool or interface, not a module or hardware.

A PCIII (Power Commander)

This is a module that is piggy backed to the ECM. The programming is stored in the module not the ECM. If the module fails the tune is gone however if you remove the module and reconnect the ECM solo the factory tune is still there. If the ECM failsit will not matter what type of tuner or module you are using you will not be riding that bike anywhere.

There are several different types of fuel management system available. All I believe piggy back the ECM except for the SERT.

Now, when comparing prices to a SERT-vs- PCIII I don't think it's fair to compare these to each other. A SERT is a tool used to obtain a custom tune. Although a PCIII is also used to obtain a custom tune it is a module. An additional piece of hardware that stays on the bike. It is exposed to all the elements however is not as rugged as the ECM. So use whatever makes you happy. I personally use a SERT. This is what I prefer. They don't fail unless the ECM does which is not likely.
Exposed to the elements? Mine is placed on top of my ECM, as is the prefered mounting area even used in newer instructions from dynojet. No more exposed than the other electrics under the side cover. PCIII can be Custom tuned, same as SERT with same or better results.
I use a PCIII This is what I prefer at the moment even with its slow start issue. But Ive never experanced a falure with one and have had several over the years. Added plus, say you decide to sell or trade in your bike, I can remove my PCIII, expensive mufflers and aircleaner returning to stock form. If I had a sert I could re map to stock form (if there is a stock map on the cd) and remove the other items but my 400+ SERT would go with the bike. I think anyone thinking of doing anything to a 07 should study all the options, and decide, Im waiting on thundermax users to post some dyno runs before changing from the PCIII.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Compared to the PCIII, the SERT has more tuning options, controlandflexibility and in the right turner's hands, an engine can be tuned more precisely. One major reason is this, The HD's Delphi ECM is a Speed Density based system, meaning that the fuel and spark is directly compensated by the engine's RPM Vs load as the vacuum is monitored by the MAP sensor. The SERT programming also is aSpeed Density system allowingthe tuner to fine tunethe fuel and sparkcomplementing theECM's internalstratagy. However, the PCIII is not a Speed Density tuner, it is an Alpha-N tunerwhich means that it will only adjust fuel and spark based off of RPM Vsthrottle position monitored by the TPS sensor.With this conflict, the tuner cannot zero in on a givenRPM and load as can be done withthe SERT. There are certain engines, combinations and quircksthat having such tuning capabilities are a nessesity.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate

So if I trade my bike and set up the new bike with the same pipes & A/C, etc.and buy a new SERT, I should be able to copy the map created with the old SERT into the new SERT software and download it to the new ECM? No need for a new dyno?

Same question applies if the ECM dies; Buy a new ECM and SERT, copy the old map and re-download it to the ECM?

Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

My only intension for this post was to clear up some confusion about the main differences between the two, one being a tool to reprogram and the other that rides piggyback with the ECM nothing more.

Yes the SERT cost more, Yes you can custom tune with the PCIII, I said that in the original post, and Yes there are other products out there. Which one is best can be debated until we are all blue in the face. I personally like the SERT better, BH personally likes the PCIII better. It does not matter to me what people use I was just trying to help some of the newbies understand the major differences between the two.

Do research, research, research.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

OK I got to ask the question. I have an 05 Road King Custom. I bought it from the dealer with Rinehart pipes, and stage 1. Does that mean there was a SERT used and I do not have it? OR do the HD dealers have 'universal' kits they can use if someone wants to just have the work done in their shop? Please tell me bc if there is a SERT that goes with my bile I want ot!
Thanks.
Mike

Quick Reply: SERT confusion