Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT confusion

There is really know way of telling. Your dealer may have just used an HD canned map. I would think that if there was a SERT that was used to tune your bike then they probly would have provided that to you since they can only be used on a single bike. If a PCIII or other fuel management system was used then you can locate your ECM and see if there is a module piggybacked to your ECM.

I do know in 2005 a lot of dealers were just using the HD downloads (canned map). It was not until 2006 when the EPA came down real hard that the downloads became unpopular because they were still very lean.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No SERT on your bike...dealer loaded a generic, stage specific download to the ECM!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy11311

OK I got to ask the question. I have an 05 Road King Custom. I bought it from the dealer with Rinehart pipes, and stage 1. Does that mean there was a SERT used and I do not have it? OR do the HD dealers have 'universal' kits they can use if someone wants to just have the work done in their shop? Please tell me bc if there is a SERT that goes with my bile I want ot!
Thanks.
Mike
Your bike was more than likly just flashed with the stage 1 download. This is a reflash of your ECM with a set map to reflect the change in parts. Dealers charge 149.00 + .5 hr.labor to do this.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

OK I got to ask the question. I have an 05 Road King Custom. I bought it from the dealer with Rinehart pipes, and stage 1. Does that mean there was a SERT used and I do not have it? OR do the HD dealers have 'universal' kits they can use if someone wants to just have the work done in their shop? Please tell me bc if there is a SERT that goes with my bile I want ot!
Thanks.
Mike
A dealer can copy your dynoed map and give you a copy, most dont do this unless you ask for it, then yes if you bought a new SERT for another bike you could load that map into it.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No SERT on your bike...dealer loaded a generic, stage specific download to the ECM!

That is what I would assume. It is too bad HD has not come out of the dark ages with service. I can go on a web site and see every service ever performed on my car and truck ( as long AS IT WAS DONE AT A DEALER)but HD has no such tracking apparently. So now, after that great response, I am gfoing to assume that if I buy a SERT and take it to a dgood dyno tuner I can esxpect better perfioormance and a better overall experience from this bike, right?
I am new TOHD,but learning a lot and I thank you in advance for being willing to share with me and the rest of us on here!
Mike

Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An EFI tuning device is only as good as the tuning technician (priceless)!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

That is what I would assume. It is too bad HD has not come out of the dark ages with service. I can go on a web site and see every service ever performed on my car and truck ( as long AS IT WAS DONE AT A DEALER)but HD has no such tracking apparently. So now, after that great response, I am gfoing to assume that if I buy a SERT and take it to a dgood dyno tuner I can esxpect better perfioormance and a better overall experience from this bike, right?
I am new TOHD,but learning a lot and I thank you in advance for being willing to share with me and the rest of us on here!
Mike
We can throw some reality into this too. If you have done major changes to your motor the value of a SERT or PCIII and dyno tech is pricless like BH said. But to tell you the truth, those that only want to add the basic items to enhance performance and sound. The truth is you dont need to always spend the big money. A free breathing air cleaner, and better sounding mufflers and a PCIII from fuelmoto with a free dyno tuned map worked up for your application by jamie(289.00) or even a vance and hines fuel pack(189.00) will be all you need to get the added performance, better sound and drop in heat by 60 degrees. At this time with the thundermax self tuning system genII coming out for 829.00 I would not spend the 600-800 a PCIII or SERT and proper dyno tune would cost till I read some real dyno data on the Tmax system.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

An EFI tuning device is only as good as the tuning technician (priceless)!
Good point, I'd rather have abad system and a good tuner then a good system and a bad tuner.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard Harley is soon to be selling Midget tunners,,,, you place them where the PC111 would go,,,
as you take off down the road the little fella tunes your ride.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something for those concerned with the cost of a SERT...............

Just located a Dealer that had an old unit, new in box 32107-01C. Purchased it for $200.00 plus $9.00 shipping. And it includes the cables. Ordered the latest "J" software for less than $20.00. I now have the latest SERT at a significant savings.

There are deals out there for those willing to do the research!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: SERT confusion