Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013 | 09:30 AM
hdkev
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch adjustment

Hey, I just adjusted my clutch for the first time. I followed the instructions. loosen cable, jam nut, adjuster in til slight drag then back out 3/4 turn then lock down, readjust cable. Everything is fine, but it don't engage til the lever is almost out. Before it was right in the sweet spot right in the middle. how do I get it back there? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2013 | 10:56 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 781 Likes on 524 Posts

If you are absolutely confident in the clutch hub adjustment, you can adjust the friction point with the cable adjustment. The lever free play is more of a minimum than a solid goal. As the friction point is adjusted so the lever is closer to the grip, the free play will get bigger, ensuring there will be no continuous pressure on the release mechanism. If you go too far in adjusting the friction point close to the grip, you may get clutch drag with the lever fully against the grip making the clank when going into gear even louder and neutral hard to find.

A caution about the clutch hub adjustment. For several years I was mistaking some drag in the threads (burred threads) for the plunger contact point. Turning the allen adjuster in with a wrench the first time smooths the threads and makes finding the actual contact point more accurate. Then use a torque wrench to set the lock nut, you probably would set it tighter than spec without the torque wrench. Having the transmission in gear helps minimize (not prevent) clutch rotation while loosening and re-tightening the lock nut.

Old 07-20-2013 | 11:21 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdkev
Hey, I just adjusted my clutch for the first time. I followed the instructions. loosen cable, jam nut, adjuster in til slight drag then back out 3/4 turn then lock down, readjust cable. Everything is fine, but it don't engage til the lever is almost out. Before it was right in the sweet spot right in the middle. how do I get it back there? Thanks!
A couple of things. I just did mine and it grabs 3/4-1" off the bar which is where I like it. First, Make sure the pack is cool. Overnight is best then you know everything has cooled. Second, make sure you feel the resistance with the adjuster screw. Little burrs on threads can be deceiving. Back and forth a couple of times to make sure the screw is making contact at the same point. Then back off the 3/4 turn and lock the nut down. Finally take the slack out of the cable leaving 1/8" between the ferrule as the manual states.

Old 07-20-2013 | 11:41 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the same steps but only back it out a half a turn. Adjust your cable then check to see if it is where you want it.
If not, go back and try 3/8 turn or even 1/4 turn untill you find the "sweet spot " you are looking for.

I just went thru this with a clutch upgrade. I installed the SE Race clutch and Barnett Extra Disk carbon fiber clutch pack.
I adjusted it as per the manual like I always do. But the clutch would "creep", never fully disengage and I could not get it in neutral unless I shut the bike off.

I found out by calling Barnett that they recommend 1/4 to 3/8 turn back off on the adjuster.
The extra disk clutch is a little thicker than the OEM clutch pack and if I back it off 3/4 it will not disengage.

I also adjusted my Wifes Dyna the same way I recommended to you. She has small hands and needed the clutch friction zone "Sweet Spot" to be closer to the grip and the free play adjusted so that the lever is closer to the grip in the released position.
I did this by backing the bolt off almost one full turn and adjusted free play so the lever starts closer to the grip for her.

You can put the "sweet spot" wherever you want or need it by simply backing off the adjuster bolt more or less.
Backing off less will make the clutch engage farther away from the grip and more will put it closer to the grip where you would have to pull the lever more to get in the zone.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2013 | 12:07 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Follow the same steps but only back it out a half a turn. Adjust your cable then check to see if it is where you want it.
If not, go back and try 3/8 turn or even 1/4 turn untill you find the "sweet spot " you are looking for.

I just went thru this with a clutch upgrade. I installed the SE Race clutch and Barnett Extra Disk carbon fiber clutch pack.
I adjusted it as per the manual like I always do. But the clutch would "creep", never fully disengage and I could not get it in neutral unless I shut the bike off.

I found out by calling Barnett that they recommend 1/4 to 3/8 turn back off on the adjuster.
The extra disk clutch is a little thicker than the OEM clutch pack and if I back it off 3/4 it will not disengage.

I also adjusted my Wifes Dyna the same way I recommended to you. She has small hands and needed the clutch friction zone "Sweet Spot" to be closer to the grip and the free play adjusted so that the lever is closer to the grip in the released position.
I did this by backing the bolt off almost one full turn and adjusted free play so the lever starts closer to the grip for her.

You can put the "sweet spot" wherever you want or need it by simply backing off the adjuster bolt more or less.
Backing off less will make the clutch engage farther away from the grip and more will put it closer to the grip where you would have to pull the lever more to get in the zone.

Hope this helps.

I can't agree with the 3/8,1/4 turn unless your spec is different than mine. 1/2-1 turn cold (2012 touring) allows for the proper adjustment of the adjustment at the clutch pack. Further adjustment can be made by adding a not more slack to the cable adjust. YMMV but I would stick to the specifications in the manual.

Old 07-20-2013 | 12:22 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

try Youtube - several to choose from

Old 07-20-2013 | 02:55 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 781 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I can't agree with the 3/8,1/4 turn unless your spec is different than mine. 1/2-1 turn cold (2012 touring) allows for the proper adjustment of the adjustment at the clutch pack. Further adjustment can be made by adding a not more slack to the cable adjust. YMMV but I would stick to the specifications in the manual.
He has an AFTER MARKET clutch and is wise to adjust it as its manufacturer recommends. However, it is just my opinion that adjusting the friction zone with the clutch pack setting is the hard way to do it, when the cable adjustment requires no cover removal, again provided the clutch pack adjustment is correct.

Old 07-20-2013 | 02:55 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know more about this adjustment between the stock clutch and the SE 9 disc clutch. I agree with BigGelvis that the SE clutch pack is thicker than the stock. When I installed it, the instructions had me remove a couple of spacer rings inside, otherwise the whole assembly would not go together. Since I have upgraded to the SE clutch no adjustment within the factory spec range has allowed me to find neutral unless I shut the motor off. I did not have trouble before with the stock clutch. I think I will readjust per BigGelvis's suggestion and see how that works.

Old 07-20-2013 | 03:43 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by btsom
He has an AFTER MARKET clutch and is wise to adjust it as its manufacturer recommends. However, it is just my opinion that adjusting the friction zone with the clutch pack setting is the hard way to do it, when the cable adjustment requires no cover removal, again provided the clutch pack adjustment is correct.
From my mobile phone I don't see the signature so I usually say to read the manual which in this case means do what the aftermarket vendor recommends. As someone stated before the clutch pack is an important step in the two step process. Proper adjustment of the cable is the other part. The clutch pack adjustment is not the "hard way". It's the only way... You can't skip that step cuz its too hard or because you "think" it's OK. RTFM! Apologies if the aftermarket pack requires no adjustment in which case I stand corrected...

Old 07-20-2013 | 03:59 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

1/4 to 3/8........ Interesting. On a stock setup that would leave the clutch partially engaged instead of releasing it from gear would it not?

Quick Reply: clutch adjustment