Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013 | 04:07 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
1/4 to 3/8........ Interesting. On a stock setup that would leave the clutch partially engaged instead of releasing it from gear would it not?
Yea. That was my concern too. If the aftermarket pack has different specs I would go with that but for stock... not good.

Old 07-20-2013 | 04:35 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The way I see it is-

The more you back off the adjuster screw in the clutch pack, the more the push rod has to extend to separate the clutch plates which means the lever has to be pulled closer to the handlebar to disengage the clutch. By the same token, when you release the lever (away from the handlebar) the sooner the clutch engages.

You need to back off on the adjuster screw. Make sure the clutch is cold and the cable is has maximum slack before you adjust the clutch pack. Then take up the slack in the cable to about 1/16" to 1/8".

Originally Posted by hdkev
Hey, I just adjusted my clutch for the first time. I followed the instructions. loosen cable, jam nut, adjuster in til slight drag then back out 3/4 turn then lock down, readjust cable. Everything is fine, but it don't engage til the lever is almost out. Before it was right in the sweet spot right in the middle. how do I get it back there? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2013 | 05:44 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TUCCI
1/4 to 3/8........ Interesting. On a stock setup that would leave the clutch partially engaged instead of releasing it from gear would it not?
No that is not correct. It just means that you don't have to move the lever very much to disengage the clutch.

The clutch is always engaged. But I can see your concern. The OEM clutch spring is not all that. And if you did not back off I can see where there might be a little less spring pressure on the clutch if it is adjusted too close.

But in my case, Barnett recommends 1/4 to 3/8". Anything more and the clutch ill not fully disengage and will creep.

Old 07-20-2013 | 07:03 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts
Default Missing link

the step missing in the instructions is to pump the clutch lever while finding the lightly seated place for the adjuster screw. loosening the cable should have allowed the ramp & ***** to fully open, this is not always the case. The cable should only be released enough to allow some movement seen at the clutch when the lever is near the bar

if you are not seated at the start of the ramp before turning out your results will vary, the location of engagement could be close to the bar to past the half out mark

IMO

Old 07-22-2013 | 04:30 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I ran in to a big problem over the weekend.

I am sticking to my guns about how I adjust clutches on a big Twin Harley.

But I have an issue with the Barnett Extra Disk carbon fiber kit I installed. Up till I originally posted in this thread, I had only put about 100 miles on the new clutch.
At first, I felt a slight drag on the clutch when in gear and it was hard to find neutral. I figured I just needed a little more adjustment and still needed to break in the new clutch disk a little.

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have so for those following this and want to hear more, I am starting a Barnett specific thread in the general section with my problem and where I am at with it now.