Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Throttle - Avon Grip

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sticky Throttle - Avon Grip

Hey all,
My throttle is sticky on my '12 SG. I took the Avon grip off and put the stocker back on and the problem goes away.

So, has anybody used any kind of lube to help fix this problem with aftermarket grips? If so, what kind?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you slid the grip to far up or something and it was binding. Did you make sure it was not pushed up to far? Its the only explanation I can think of. These bikes are TBW (throttle by wire, electronic) no cables to stick bind.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrokedNBored
Hey all,
My throttle is sticky on my '12 SG. I took the Avon grip off and put the stocker back on and the problem goes away.

So, has anybody used any kind of lube to help fix this problem with aftermarket grips? If so, what kind?
You need to call Avon and ask to speak to Lee. He will send you a replacement grip that will no have this problem. I went through the exact same thing as you.
Apparently, Avon had a bad batch of grips that were to tight. The new grip is a s smooth as stock if not smoother with no grease or lubricant.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you have to sand the throttle side. I have avon grips and talked to one of the guys from avaon at j&p cycle last month. and I quote " you have to sand the throttle side down. reason being handle bar manufactures are putting to much chrome on the bar where the grips go. avon grips are made to a tolerance of less then 1/32 of an inch. so this results in the installer needing to sand the chrome off of only the bar itself. do not sand the grip." they have informed the manufactures of this problem. ie wild 1 la chopper. burly and other most widely used bars. so yea just get some fine sand paper sand the hell out of it and it will work fine I put a little wd-40 on mine because I didn't sand enough off because I personally didn't know this info till a month after the fact.

also the left side grip should slide on and bottom out you will have to push very hard but avon grips do not require grip glue. there is a built in locking mech in the grip so make sure you push really hard and it will lock into place.

Last edited by mainboom150; 07-19-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I've read several threads where Avon grips do this on Yaffe MBB.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cliff-AZ
You need to call Avon and ask to speak to Lee. He will send you a replacement grip that will no have this problem. I went through the exact same thing as you.
Apparently, Avon had a bad batch of grips that were to tight. The new grip is a s smooth as stock if not smoother with no grease or lubricant.
Thanks for the info! I called Avon this morning and they said it was a known quality issue on their part. They are overnighting me a new grip to replace the one that is too tight.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrokedNBored
Thanks for the info! I called Avon this morning and they said it was a known quality issue on their part. They are overnighting me a new grip to replace the one that is too tight.
Cool...You will be good to go!

C

Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

Had same issue, Avon replaced the grips.....good service.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser

Figured it would be good to close this one out for future references.

Avon Fedex'd a replacement grip to me the next day. Swapped it out and the new one is good to go.

Very nice customer service.