Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JIMS Vacuum Fed Fork Filling Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default JIMS Vacuum Fed Fork Filling Tool

Has anyone used one of these? Tool I love tools, but do you think it is worth the money to save some time and work? Plus I'd love to put some heavier oil in my forks.
http://iwblogger.com/2013/jims-vacuu...-filling-tool/

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think it was worth if your doing more then one bike or your for some reason changing your fluid a lot. couldn't find the price but ill bet its not cheap

Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I swapped out fork oil 4 oz at a time using a harbor freight vacuum pump. It comes with a fitting that you can thread into the drain hole. Easy way to add some heavier weight oil without taking the stuff off the top of the forks.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fullautomike
Has anyone used one of these? Tool I love tools, but do you think it is worth the money to save some time and work? Plus I'd love to put some heavier oil in my forks.
http://iwblogger.com/2013/jims-vacuu...-filling-tool/
Looks like Harbor Freight sells the components for this thing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html

I'm wondering if anyone has photos of how to do this? I'm interested because I went to a local indy today and they want $300 to do this service. I wasn't interested in taking the forks off myself, etc to do it so this looks like a good, quick solution.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
I would think it was worth if your doing more then one bike or your for some reason changing your fluid a lot. couldn't find the price but ill bet its not cheap
Retail is $219, I'm still thinking of getting one

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

"To drain the fork, simply insert the tapered fitting into the drain hole and create a vacuum using a standard Mityvac hand pump. Once you reach approximately 23 lbs. of vacuum pressure rotate the valve and instantly the vacuum will draw the pre-measured amount of fork fluid into the fork tube."

The MityVac container will not hold all of the fluid that's in one fork leg. I assume you have to keep emptying the container and start the vacuum process over again until all of the fluid is removed. The container holding the new fluid appears to be large enough to hold the correct amount though.

Concept looks good, we're wait for your feed back......

Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I'm interested because I went to a local indy today and they want $300 to do this service. I wasn't interested in taking the forks off myself, etc to do it so this looks like a good, quick solution.
What? You don't take the forks off to perform a fork oil change. You don't need fancy vacuum devices either.

Here are the steps I took:
-Have a service manual handy
-Have the right tools (low profile 36mm socket..avail for $16 and a switch alignment tool) You can get by without either, but like I said..the right tools

Here is a pic of both of these tools:

-Have a replacement copper washer to go under the head of the drain screw
-Have a replacement oring for under the 36mm cap screws
-Remove the ignition switch stem
-Remove the inner faring cap. Now the top fork 36mm heads are accessible
-Remove the drain screw down low and in the rear of each leg
-Remove 36mm cap screw to allow all fluid to drain
-Pump forks a few times to ensure all fluid is out
-Reinstall fork leg screw with new copper washer to torque spec
-Fill from the top with 11 oz of your choice of fork oil, pumping a little as you go, easy pumps, nothing drastic
-Install new orings and torque 36mm cap screw to spec
-Reinstall inner faring cap and switch stem
-Take a picture of your old fork oil and post it here on the forum!

Mine looked like this at about 15K:

Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
What? You don't take the forks off to perform a fork oil change. You don't need fancy vacuum devices either.
Thanks Lowcountry Joe - this looks too simple! Do you need to jack up the front end or can this be done on the jiffy stand? Why wouldn't HD suggest this method as an alternative in the service manual? I'm at 21K and the specs say to do it at 50K....too long.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Thanks Lowcountry Joe - this looks too simple! Do you need to jack up the front end or can this be done on the jiffy stand? Why wouldn't HD suggest this method as an alternative in the service manual? I'm at 21K and the specs say to do it at 50K....too long.
You don't use a jack, do it on the jiffy. Remember you have to hold the front brake and pump the front forks up and down during the process. So that should tell you that you don't put the front wheel in the air.

You must remember that HD thrives on service dollars, which equates to time and materials consumed in their shop. Their are numerous examples of procedures in the service manual where many of the extra steps they list can be avoided while still performing a successful and quality service. Thing is, the HD techs skip those steps too, but they still charge you for the time it would have taken them to do the job had they followed all the steps.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The dealer charged me $700.00 to remove the forks, replace internal stuff they say needs replacing and reassemble. They said this is the only way they would service the forks and take responsibility for the work. all I wanted was a heavy fork oil change to stop the diving. I paid it once I'm not paying that kind of money again.

Quick Reply: JIMS Vacuum Fed Fork Filling Tool