Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignoring basic driving rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:45 AM
BUSTERK
|
Advanced
Default ignoring basic driving rules

Seems this year is worse than ever. Drivers in cages simply disregarding the basic rules of the road. Four times so far I have been forced to the shoulder by an oncoming car passing. they are in my lane when going by. Many times I have been passed on curves and hills with yellow lines. A new twist happened yesterday. There was a bit of traffic so I rode right of center for on coming visibility. I hear something and here's a van passing me IN MY LANE! He's a foot from my handlebar.
Now let me add, our speed limits here are 55 and I ride 60-65 [yes, I am disregarding basic rules also] out of necessity! [and it's the sweet spot for 5th gear]
And our newspaper always mentions in vehicle/MC accidents whether the biker was wearing a helmet.
Sorry, starting to get worked up. Keep your eyes open guys! Thanks for the vent. Doug

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:50 AM
mainboom150
Road Master

well first off your wrong for not riding in the middle of the lane. you allowed that car to share your lane imo. second I don't see you breaking the rules for riding faster that's a safety thing imo. I do it all the time. im always on defense and if that car would have passed me in my lane he would have got a boot in his door. you need to watch yourself because they don't care keep that in mind

Old 07-18-2013 | 09:37 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain

I have had a car pass me in my lane before, a woman driver, when I caught her at the next light she looked at me like I was crazy when I called her a XZ#$&*^.

Old 07-18-2013 | 09:44 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mainboom150
well first off your wrong for not riding in the middle of the lane. you allowed that car to share your lane imo. second I don't see you breaking the rules for riding faster that's a safety thing imo. I do it all the time. im always on defense and if that car would have passed me in my lane he would have got a boot in his door. you need to watch yourself because they don't care keep that in mind
I made the same mistake when I first started riding. You have to protect your lane at all times.

Old 07-18-2013 | 09:48 AM
mwriggs
Cruiser

+ 1 what the above said. I also will not allow a cage to ride close to me, where your blind spot would be normally, bec ya never know where they are going. Ive had several close encounters this year as well, dont know if its bad luck, or a trend among drivers ?!!

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:03 AM
Pistonman1
Road Captain

I had some ******* on a new metric cruiser pass a car in my lane, on my right last weekend.I caught up to him and got his attention, and he just grinned at me.
I then went on a yelling tirade about my lane and stay the F out of it,, and he quickly exited the highway.

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:16 AM
Am4wag
Tourer

The trend ?......seems the "my insurance will handle it/don't inconvenience me" mentality is the trend amonst them....and ofcourse as always when you point it out or confront them-YOU"RE the *******........

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:55 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I was involved in a left turn accident 25 years ago. Fast forward to June 2013 and I found myself being forced out of my lane by a cager that didn't see me. Fortunately, I was able to pull onto the shoulder.

Riding safely is not what is used to be. I'm at the point where if I have one more incident, I'll likely quit riding for good. It's either this or I'll wind up in jail for putting a beat down on someone.

Old 07-18-2013 | 11:43 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
I made the same mistake when I first started riding. You have to protect your lane at all times.
He was protecting his lane from oncoming traffic. The schmuk in the cage passing him in his lane was just being an inconsiderate pr*ck!

Old 07-18-2013 | 11:53 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

I've never had a car try to share my lane. That would be insane and I would flip out. Holy hell.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: ignoring basic driving rules