Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignoring basic driving rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013 | 04:59 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

I personally ride on the right hand side of any lane....why?
1) it give me an escape route to the right side...and hopefully grass not gravel or road
2) it gives a chance for any car passing me to give them pleanty of space.
3) I don't like to ride on the left side because of the oncoming A$$holes crossing the double yellow line....while talking/texing etc. etc.
4) I weave sometimes when I see car coming up behind me...let them see me and also think I'm drunk they rarely pass.
5)I added a hell of alot of lights on the back to make sure I'm seen.
6) I added hidden yellow flashers on the rrunning lights on the front of my bike that are triggered by my brakes hand/foot....so If I want someone to notice me I just break a little....and YES I know they are illegal but my life is worth more than a ticket.

Riding a bike is fun but not worth my life....when it stops being fun...my bike will be for sale...

Old 07-18-2013 | 05:11 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

I very seldom if ever ride in the center of the lane.......Typically the slickest portion due to build up (rarely sees vehicle tire traffic) so you have oil build up and other such crap.

So regardless of right or wrong........I generally ride to right of center cause that is where I feel most comfortable and have done so for the last 20 years.

Old 07-18-2013 | 05:11 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mainboom150
which part don't you agree with ? im sorry but I see riding left/right of center more of a danger then being in the middle of the lane. this leaves you very few options as an out. if your in the center of the lane your more likely to be seen and have less of a chance of this illegal act happening. also I don't know about your state but motorcycle rules of the road for the state of Illinois specifically states to be in the center of your lane so cars do not try to lane share. as to this lane where you live basically by doing what you are. you are condoning the bad driving of these people.

By riding a bike you accept a risk of some cager doing something stupid and putting you in danger. if you disagree with this statement sell your bike right now. because it is an accepted risk. just as it is an accepted risk you may god forbid go down. but imho by disagreeing with my previous statement you either have not studied the motorvehicle rules of the road for your state, have limited miles on a bike. or think that because you are on a bike you need to amend the rules of the road and cowtow to cagers . you have the same rights to the road as someone on a bicycle who has the same rights as a car. so all I can say is study the rules of the road and ride within them they want you in the middle of that lane for a reason.
I've been legally riding since 1971, my first 'car' was a SL175 Honda.... ummm it's YOU that sounds like a newbie on this thread, Bub.

Cowtowing to a cager WILL keep you alive. Maybe after YOUR first big accident.... you will wise up a bit. Do YOU stop in the middle of the road BEHIND a car at a red light... if you do THAT at night? You ARE looking to be dead soon. Common sense and NOT dumb *** rules saves lives. AT a red light at night? or even day time, Granny will NOT see you and try to stop right behind the car YOU are behind, and she WILL squish your ***.

Oh, its also my view that bicycles should be friggin banned on highways... Why? I have YET seen one that didn't run a red light when convenient or pass me on the right, when my own right turn signal was on. When THAT happened, I had a Z06, and simply side stepped it and scared the **** of of those asshats.

Do whatever, but I've been run off of the road more than once, and in Tennessee, was run off and over a cliff. So, I, me, pay attention to cagers. Ghetto trash simply does NOT drive correctly enough to make em follow the rules, and THAT includes white (Ghetto)trash youngsters these days too. While you try to defend that center of the lane, and get mowed down by a texting high school drop out who thinks THEY run things, I, on MY 120r will motor out of their way, one way or another.

Being ABLE to quickly get out in front HAS advantages.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2013 | 05:27 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

I know the rules as most here do and respect, most newbie and many older drivers could care less as they have gotten away with the lack of rules for so long they consider it gospel. I ride the left tire track most of the time, have had the idiot try to pass on the right and got the satisfaction a trooper in MO issued a ticket for no passing on the right on a single lane(each direction) highway, also got to see one ticketed for passing on the double yellow also a moving violation for both with points. Almost got taken out by a idiot that tried to pass a semi while pulling a 5TH WHEEL camper in KS, had to shoulder that one but again a cop was watching and nailed the moron. Been lucky way too many times, scares me to know how many I missed and they only get worse as time goes by and people drive more by senses than by sight(texters). Worst was slow speed, coming to a intersection stop light, woman in the right lane decided she was in the wrong lane and simply turned on her left signal then moved over, I was already there, she got the cussing of her life at the next light, had her crying as to trying to kill two people, she may never forget to look again.

Old 07-18-2013 | 05:27 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by BUSTERK
..... I hear something and here's a van passing me IN MY LANE! He's a foot from my handlebar.

Sorry, starting to get worked up. Keep your eyes open guys! Thanks for the vent. Doug
Now you know why people carry "Get Back Whips", hammers and the like. Would you knock his mirror off?

Personally I think I'd just drop back, follow to their destination and knock their teeth out for endangering me.

Old 07-18-2013 | 07:03 PM
vzts4q
Road Master

Originally Posted by mainboom150
motorcycle rules of the road for the state of Illinois specifically states to be in the center of your lane so cars do not try to lane share.
Sorry but it does not say that.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x140.pdf

Page 11 of the Illinois Motorcycle states the following.

Lane Positions
In some ways the size of the motorcycle can work
to your advantage. Each traffic lane gives a motorcycle
three paths of travel. Your lane position
should:
• Increase your ability to see and be seen.
• Avoid others’ blind spots.
• Avoid surface hazards.
• Protect your lane from other drivers.
• Communicate your intentions.
• Avoid wind blast from other vehicles.
• Provide an escape route.
Select the appropriate path to maximize your
space cushion and make yourself more easily seen
by others on the road.
In general, there is no single best lane position for
riders to be seen and to maintain a space cushion
around the motorcycle. No portion of the lane need
be avoided, including the center.
Position yourself in the portion of the lane where you are most likely to be seen
and you can maintain a space cushion around you. Change position as traffic situations
change. Ride in path 2 or 3 if vehicles and other potential problems are
on your left only. Remain in path 1 or 2 if hazards are on your right only. If vehicles
are being operated on both sides of you, the center of the lane, path 2, is usually
your best option (see illustration above).
Lane Positions
The oily strip in the center portion that collects drippings from cars is usually no
more than two feet wide. Unless the road is wet, the average center strip permits
adequate traction to ride on safely. You can operate to the left or right of the
grease strip and still be within the center portion of the traffic lane. Avoid riding
on big build-ups of oil and grease usually found at busy intersections or toll
booth

Last edited by vzts4q; 07-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:06 PM
mainboom150
Road Master

Keep well behind the vehicle ahead even when you are stopped. This will make it

easier to get out of the way if someone bears down on you from behind. It will also

give you a cushion of space if the vehicle ahead starts to back up for some reason.

When behind a vehicle, ride where the driver can see you in the rearview mirror.

Riding in the center portion of the lane should put your image in the middle of

the rearview mirror where a driver is most likely to see you (see illustration on

page 12).

Riding at the far side of a lane may permit a driver to see you in a sideview mirror;

however, most drivers don’t look at the sideview mirrors as often as they

check the rearview mirror. If the traffic situation allows, the center portion of the

lane is usually the best place for you to be seen by the drivers ahead and to prevent

lane sharing by others.

should have read on. this is a new version of the manual updated last September of 2012 I took my test in 95. but it hasn't changed much. so sorry it does say that pertaining to this situation and its not just cagers who don't pay attention bike's and semis don't either. I have almost been hit more times paving a road then anyone ever has almost been hit on a bike. and ive almost been hit twice on my bike and still fear work more.

Last edited by mainboom150; 07-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:44 PM
Tinman265
Road Master

Beat me to it........

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:07 PM
Max Chill
Advanced

I try and stick to 2 lane back roads, preferably with a shoulder, where I ride right of center.

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:49 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

"motorcycle rules of the road for the state of Illinois specifically states to be in the center of your lane"

Never heard of that rule in Connecticut or anwhere else in the northeast.

What do you do if the "middle of the lane" is filled with grease and oil?

I remember a question the instructor in the MSF class asked, back around 1992:

"How wide is a motorcycle?"

I said, "as wide as the entire lane."

He replied, "you'd heard that already, handn't you?"

The truth is, I'd never heard it before and was just guessin'.

But I guessed right.

Quick Reply: ignoring basic driving rules