Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LED's - Help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
shonrt1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing LED's - Help needed...

I had read through several forum posts and decided it was time to upgrade to LED's. Most of what I read said the lights were pretty much "plug and play". So I bought the Truck Lite Phase 7 LED from DFS and they were delivered today. I had not taken out any of my lights before tonight. Here is what I found:

This is how my bulb was wired - What a mess: Installing LED's - Help needed...-photo.jpg

This is a closer look at the back of the bulb:Installing LED's - Help needed...-photo-1.jpg

This is what the LED looks like:Installing LED's - Help needed...-photo-2.jpg

Any suggestions? Which color wire needs to be attached to which wire?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Darn, who was playin in there and stuck all that electrical tape all over the place, that didn't come that way from Harley. Very interesting

Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What a mess. Am i missing something ? Why not just plug it in and see if it works? If your old lamp was working, unplug it and plug in the TL. If it does, clean up that mess with solder and shrink wrap.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I agree with Gunny. Who did you get it from? Maybe ask them WTH were they doing. I'd probably take it to a indie shop and yell for help.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 PM
shonrt1
4th Gear

It is an '08 Ultra Classic. I bought it used last year. It is a great bike and the only issue I've had is with an after market fuel controller going bad. It had been very well taken care of, but I was pretty surprised to see this mess.

I can't really plug anything in. There is no plug on the bike side to plug the LED into, so I am going to be forced to cut and splice wires together, or find a male connector that plugs into the LED and wire it up. We have a local indie bike shop that can do it for me, but it is only a few wires, I should be able to figure it out myself. Just don't want to strand myself in the middle of the night with nothing but a cell phone light to guide me home....

Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with FLHTCU Owner I am not understanding the big deal. your stock Harley light has three male plugs coming out, Your new led has three male plugs unplug the stock light plug in the led try it out. I am not trying to be a smart *** but you do realize the stock light unplugs right? the part that has AMP stamped in it, is the plug.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
shonrt1
4th Gear

Uh, honestly, no I did not realize that. It's about 95 degrees and 100% humidity in my garage, so I got the light out, took a look at the mess, got pissed and put it back together. I'll work on it again tomorrow night. Thanks - that was the information I was wanting to hear.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackswampbiker
I am with FLHTCU Owner I am not understanding the big deal. your stock Harley light has three male plugs coming out, Your new led has three male plugs unplug the stock light plug in the led try it out. I am not trying to be a smart *** but you do realize the stock light unplugs right? the part that has AMP stamped in it, is the plug.
Right. Squeeze that plug on each end and pull it off of the old lamp, plug the new one in, see if it works, clean up mess.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM
blackswampbiker
Tourer

Again just like FLHTCU Owner said squeeze the sides together and wiggle it back and forth sometimes they can be a b!tch to unplug

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 PM
In2It
Road Captain

As stated above the connection is there but for some reason it was possibly extended, the harness. I'd take the electrical tape off to figure out what was done.

Quick Reply: Installing LED's - Help needed...