Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altitude Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Altitude Limit?

I'll be biking in the Colorado mountains late August and early September and wondering if there would be a problem with altitudes up to 12, 183 ft., which is the highest pass on(from Wikipedia), "Trail Ridge Road...the name for a stretch of U.S. Highway 34 and is the highest continuous paved road in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States."

I know EFI on a Harley is supposed to adjust for altitude but I wonder if there is a limit.....surely there is, I just hope it isn't somewhere South of the above number.

I'd sure be embarrassed if my bike chokes and the Honda people I'll be with pass me by..... laughing their fat butts off at my expense.

Thanks,

VR

Last edited by HOGNOT; 07-16-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have ridden a couple thousand feet higher than that at Mt. Evans. Nobody told my scooter there was a limit. Just don't tell it and it will be ok.

Dennis

Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by rochkes
I have ridden a couple thousand feet higher than that at Mt. Evans. Nobody told my scooter there was a limit. Just don't tell it and it will be ok.

Dennis
Okay, that's good advice, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have no problems. Based on your signature I would say your bike will have no issues. Be sure to run premium octane - 91 at most stations. Enjoy the ride!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Doc R.K.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went through Wyoming and Montana mountains never had a problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer

Originally Posted by RoadGlideGary
You should have no problems. Based on your signature I would say your bike will have no issues. Be sure to run premium octane - 91 at most stations. Enjoy the ride!
Yup, I always pump the premium, even down here at sea level where I usually ride, but someday I'm sure I'll be tempted to try something lesser in grade....but not in Colorado.

Thanks,

VR

Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Took mine to the top of Pikes Peak 14,691 feet
No problems
Love fuel injection!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
Yup, I always pump the premium, even down here at sea level where I usually ride, but someday I'm sure I'll be tempted to try something lesser in grade....but not in Colorado.

Thanks,

VR
Actually Colorado would be a good place to try lower grade. Not saying you should do it but your octane requirements would be lower.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 749 Likes on 513 Posts

It has been covered in another thread, but you seem to have your understanding for octane backwards. The more air that goes into the engine, the higher is the needed octane. At 10,000 feet, only about 2/3 of the air available at sea level is available so the compression pressure and resulting heat from compression is less. You can get by with lower octane.

When at sea level, you can actually get "extra air" when under a high pressure system with the barometer above 29.92. It would be like very mild supercharging and would increase compression pressure and heat needing even higher octane to prevent detonation.

Quick Reply: Altitude Limit?