Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler Rotates When Oil Filter is Removed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HD Oil Cooler Rotates When Oil Filter is Removed

2011 Street Glide w/stock HD oil cooler.

When changing the oil & filter, I noticed that the oil cooler adapter that the oil filter threads onto rotates ever so slightly when removing the oil filter.

I didn't see any way to tighten the adapter while I had the filter off (didn't look very hard either).

Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the inside of the insert is made for a 7/16" allen wrench, turn it in...locktite on assembly should have kept it tight...maybe you want to take it off and do over.

red locktite, not blue

If you don't have a 7/16" allen wrench ( who does?) make a tool.

use a 1/4" bolt..which has a 7/16" head.

stack up a bunch of nuts on the bolt.

put the head into the insert...use a wrench or socket on the stacked nuts to turn the insert in.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-24-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Jagg makes a part you attach to your oil cooler adaptor. It looks like a piece of aluminum that screws to the adaptor and when your spinning the oil filter off and the whole oil cooler adaptor starts spinning with the filter, this piece the nudges up against the motor housing stopping the oil cooler adaptor from rotating along with the filter.

I think jagg charges like 10 bucks for it but you need this to prevent the whole adaptor housing from spinning on you.

It's called an anti rotation kit.

Last edited by Gliden; 07-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Am I at risk of leaking oil the way it presently sits?
Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say not.

The oil filter/cooler adaptor has the same gasket as an oil filter. Things have to be pretty loose for that to start leaking. I would install that "anti rotation" kit next filter change. Well worth the 10 bucks and problem it solves.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

On my other bike (2007 FXSTC), I have a Jagg oil cooler/adapter with their anti-rotation kit.

Will the Jagg anti-rotation kit work just as well with a HD adapter?

Just so I'm clear, I disassemble the HD adapter by unscrewing the threaded rod that the oil filter would spin onto?

When reassembling, I want to apply Locktite here, on the 7/16" threaded rod?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
I'd say not.

The oil filter/cooler adaptor has the same gasket as an oil filter. Things have to be pretty loose for that to start leaking. I would install that "anti rotation" kit next filter change. Well worth the 10 bucks and problem it solves.
no, it doesn't. the gasket for the adapter is much thinner and is not made of rubber. when i did mine, the first time it leaked. not a lot, but enough that after 5k miles there was a film of oil on the bottom of the engine. i didn't care for that so i got the kit from the dealer, took off the threaded adapter, cleaned it up, and used just a very thin film of permatex when i put the new gasket on. tightened it up, and it worked great. no seepage afterward.

also, when i first installed it, i did the same thing as mkguitar with the bolt and nuts. however, when trying to loosen it, i couldn't get it with that setup. what i ended up using was a small turnbuckle with a 7/16'' body. cost about a buck from lowes.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
no, it doesn't. the gasket for the adapter is much thinner and is not made of rubber. when i did mine, the first time it leaked. not a lot, but enough that after 5k miles there was a film of oil on the bottom of the engine. i didn't care for that so i got the kit from the dealer, took off the threaded adapter, cleaned it up, and used just a very thin film of permatex when i put the new gasket on. tightened it up, and it worked great. no seepage afterward.

also, when i first installed it, i did the same thing as mkguitar with the bolt and nuts. however, when trying to loosen it, i couldn't get it with that setup. what i ended up using was a small turnbuckle with a 7/16'' body. cost about a buck from lowes.
Did you install a Jagg or HD adapter/oil cooler kit?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The dealer should correct the problem under warranty.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The adapter has a torque requirement when installing. I have installed them on three off my bikes. One 7 years ago, one four years ago and one three years ago.

No leaks and certainly no movement. The adapter came in the kit with red loctite already on it. Had a socket with the correct size allen wrench in it and torqued to the high end of the spec.

Pull the adapter, clean the threads, reapply the red locktite and torque it to specs.
Are you referring to a HD or Jagg adapter?
Thanks

Quick Reply: HD Oil Cooler Rotates When Oil Filter is Removed