Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil Cooler Rotates When Oil Filter is Removed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the inside of the insert is made for a 7/16" allen wrench, turn it in...locktite on assembly should have kept it tight...maybe you want to take it off and do over.

If you don't have a 7/16" allen wrench ( who does?) make a tool.

use a 1/4" bolt..which has a 7/16" head.

stack up a bunch of nuts on the bolt.

put the head into the insert...use a wrench or socket on the stacked nuts to turn the insert in.

mike
Excellent post!! Information and instruction.

And for the peeps that didn't read the OP, it is a HD Oil Cooler, not a Jagg.

Bwana

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I dont use the anti-rotation device because of the smaller sized bolts that come with it. They are not as sturdy as the adjoining bolts (Jagg unit). I keep mine from rotating by putting a wedge between the adapter and the frame, you only need to break the seal the filter makes with the adapter then off it comes. If it wants to rotate that easy then the whole adapter should be checked for tightness.....just the way I do it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Are you referring to a HD or Jagg adapter?
Thanks
mine is a hd unit. i thought that was what we were talking about....

Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

We are, the rotation issue seems to be occuring on the both units and the anti-rotation device sold by Jagg came up as a fix for the HD adapter.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have used both units. The Hd one and the Jagg one which I bought after all the frustration with the HD one. The HD one would work for an oil change or two then loosen when removing the filter and then leak. Then you need a new gasket and a retorque etc. Finally installed the Jagg one (Adapter only although I think they make the oil cooler too for HD) No more leaks or loosening. Yes I used the anti rotation part that you order separate. One thing with Jagg, make sure you order all the parts because they are all separate. I was going to buy a Jagg oil cooler with fan on it for my new bike and the oil cooler adapter is separate?? Either way the HD one is a PITA and I would recommend the JAgg unit.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yep maybe

Originally Posted by drspencer
Am I at risk of leaking oil the way it presently sits?
Thanks
Yep you might be concerned some. It happened to me with a 2012 Road King after the break in earl was changed.

It wasn't a major 'run' of oil but it was there...after a ride it reared up. Leaking on the garage floor. Lots of adjectives came to mind after seeing this.

After some research on here it seems as this does happen...to some anyway? I replace the gasket with a new one and went a tad past the torque requirements. Note: I said a tad...Naturally I cleaned all of the areas prior and especially the oil filter screw adapter and added 'red loctite' to the threads.

Hardest part for me was finding the 1/2" x 7/16" hex head 5-point socket to remove the oil filter adapter screw. I found some at Harbour Freight but as a complete kit...overkill. Went across to NAPA and they had one for about 11 bucks plus the gov. Yes you can make your own.

In short, after all was done I washed the bike good especially around that area. Now no dips, runs or errors as of to date...No problems now but again something to be aware of.

Last edited by Biker John; 07-16-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I used permatex on the gasket, lock tight RED on the adapter bolt thing, and a serious 7/16 Allen I bought from Sears and tightened the whole thing down super tight.

No leaks or rotation in 36 thousand miles.

It leaked when I used to bolt method. For some reason just couldn't get the torque to seal it properly. Not that it should call for a ton... but that's the way it happened for whatever reason.

lp