Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM shocks are terrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM shocks are terrible

I know it's been said before and i'm aware that there are expensive options to replace them, such as ohlin's. Just am amazed that factory shocks are that horrible. Been playing with the pressure quite a bit and just cant get to a good setting or pressure. Always solo at 230lb.
Who replaced theirs/ what it cost and is it worth it?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
evolution 2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i hear ya, i need front spring kit, and rears would be great for my sporty, have you seen the oem prices? HAHAHA ohhhhh man

Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM
jason12vb
Intermediate

Have been wanting to do this as well and yesterday's close call might be pushing up the urgency. The wife was airborne and almost thrown off the bike on I-94 at 65mph in St Paul when hitting a transition crack/bump from one block of pavement to the next. It not only scared the crap out of us, but gave her a headache as it made her jaw snap shut.

For anyone in the area, it was I-94 West just after the HWY 61 exit in the far left lane.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 532 Likes on 381 Posts

I put the HD Premium Touring shocks on the rear of my '10 FLHTK and they work well with preload adjustment on the left side...$400 with 20% off...

Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM
mrspcolli
Novice

Switched out my stockers for a set of JRi 12" w/ adjustable sweep valves from Howard @ motorcyclemetal.com (MSRP on the site says $950 at this writing). Granted I ride solo, but just came back from a 2200 mile trip and I swear they ride even smoother than when I left. So far I've put about 5k on them. It was my experience that I didn't know what I needed until I found it (by way of adjustment). I now know that if I load up for an extended trip, a click or two on the sweep valve is all I need to adjust my suspension for the added weight. Howard's also a great resource for helping dial in your initial setup. During your dialing in process, keep detailed notes. That way you can return to the initial setup if needed.

I also think it's always worth talking to someone that knows shocks (for these bikes) before you decide, too. Before purchasing anything, I had a set of either Progressive 430 or 944s in mind, but after explaining my riding style and suspension goals, Howard suggested the JRi's. I think it's difficult to "magazine shop" based on your style, weight, etc. You might get lucky and find the magic setup -- but you might not either.

Check out the motorcyclemetal.com site. There's tons of info on shocks, how they work, and how they don't. http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html

Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I know it's been said before and i'm aware that there are expensive options to replace them, such as ohlin's. Just am amazed that factory shocks are that horrible. Been playing with the pressure quite a bit and just cant get to a good setting or pressure. Always solo at 230lb.
If your asking its because you have found the limitations of the stock suspension. many riders may never have a need or feel the difference in ride by changing the stock shocks out.

There are many choices mainly based on your budget. Almost any of them are better than the stock shocks.

Run a search and start reading,

Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the Harley Premium Shocks. They are a big step up over the stockers and I also waited to snag them on a 20% off sale. I am very pleased.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the Progressive 412's better than stock?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TexFF
Are the Progressive 412's better than stock?
I have no direct experience with 412's, but just about anything is better than stock.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I'm not sure you will get the air right. Some say they have. I could not. I think it's more that some are willing to put up with the stock ride. I was not. Two things to toss out on a new Harley. Shocks and seat. I have JRI's. About 800.00 but well worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: OEM shocks are terrible