Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM shocks are terrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I've tried pressure at 2 lb increments since the bike was new. From zero, all the way to the 50lb maximum. If some found the sweet spot, great... i cant find it. Just junk shocks to me. Time for me to read up and shop for decent ones.
Same for me.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't get these threads. I am about 220 (so about the same as the OP) and have NO complaints about the shocks. I put 40 pounds in the rear air shocks and NEVER bottom out and the ride is pleasant. It must be a matter of expectations. I don't expect it to ride like a Lincoln. I not only expect but want to have some road feel.
+1.... Ive had lots of bikes including several Harleys.... The shocks on the newer touring (2009+) is by far the best of any bike I've owned including the progressives I had on my Dyna and the Konis on my old evo sprty. I ride tons of miles in all conditions and I really don't have an issue with the oem air shocks. The bike tracks true, corners well considering its size, its smooth over most surfaces and the shocks are pretty much infinitely adjustable. What more do you want? Could they be better? Sure I suppose.... But I'm always a little suspicious that the OP may not have sampled the ride quality of very many other bikes when i read things like "oem air shocks are the worst" etc. not sure what people expect but lazy boy comfort is hard to achieve and you just might be disappointed by the marginal improvement you manage to get out of those new $750 shocks you're thinking of buying....

Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
I put the HD Premium Touring shocks on the rear of my '10 FLHTK and they work well with preload adjustment on the left side...$400 with 20% off...
Originally Posted by dswansbiker
+1 on the Harley Premium Shocks. They are a big step up over the stockers and I also waited to snag them on a 20% off sale. I am very pleased.
Originally Posted by TMOUT

The Premium Adjustables made a world of difference on my Limited.
Gonna do the fork cartridge upgrade next..........

Using the 13" premium hand adjustable on my '11 Street Glide.
100% improvement over the factory air shocks.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
How do you put air in just the rear shocks on a 11 King?
Trick Question, or am I missing something?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I wonder if any of you that whine about the shocks on these touring bikes have ever ridden a Dyna or a Sportster.I went through at least 4 sets of shocks on my Dyna and it never rode as good as my bone stock Limited.In fact Electraglide shocks are a popular low buck upgrade on Sportsters and even though they're woefully undersprung for a Dyna they still use them.
I agree. My '09 FLHX rides way better than my '11 48 Sportster.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd consider the suggestion that you try heavier oil in the rear shocks. I'm one of the minorities that have always used the stock air shocks and am satisfied, but I'm also satisfied with the stock seat and the latest model FLH I've had is 07. The forks are a different story. I don't seem to see as many complaints about the older bikes and have been wondering if with the new frame, they changed the shock geometry enough to really screw up the suspension.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Lets see. I've toured over 23,000 miles on my 10 Ultra and have 15,000 on my 12 RGC,s. Those miles are on roads in all the 49 North American States and most of Canada. Not a single issue with the stock shocks.

I'm 6'3" and 210 and I ride solo but with fully loaded gear.

I know many other touring riders that are more than satisfied with the stock set up.

I wonder if it is not just some folks that like to gripe about their Harley's as a form of showing off.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Lets see. I've toured over 23,000 miles on my 10 Ultra and have 15,000 on my 12 RGC,s. Those miles are on roads in all the 49 North American States and most of Canada. Not a single issue with the stock shocks.

I'm 6'3" and 210 and I ride solo but with fully loaded gear.

I know many other touring riders that are more than satisfied with the stock set up.

I wonder if it is not just some folks that like to gripe about their Harley's as a form of showing off.
Are you suggesting I'm just "showing off" by asking for help and info on this forum here?
I'm looking for replacement options/ prices and if it was worth it, not useless, insulting reply's. But hey....good to know you rode as much as you claim. No biggie.....i may have that many miles and more.....so what.
If that is your version of helping me, you might as well not bother.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Pete6114,

I was mediocrely ok with the 13" oem air assist shocks on my 04 RK, and quite thoroughly disgusted with the 12" replacements I picked up at a swap meet.

Then I did the oil replacement. World of difference, with a $10 jug of oil.

Sure, there are better shocks out there. But the oem can be made to work quite a bit better with an oil change, which also ensures there is enough oil in there (it can/does come out).

For another $10 or $20, you can get several jugs of different oils to experiment with, seeing which viscosity seems to work best with you.

Just a little food for thought.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I know it's been said before and i'm aware that there are expensive options to replace them, such as ohlin's. Just am amazed that factory shocks are that horrible. Been playing with the pressure quite a bit and just cant get to a good setting or pressure. Always solo at 230lb.
Who replaced theirs/ what it cost and is it worth it?
You have two options, in my experience! You can spend a lot of time and money trying every cheap and less cheap shock out there, wondering if you will ever get a decent ride - or you can go straight to HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal and get a set custom built. It will take no time at all and save you a lot of angst and discomfort. Do you want to be comfortable for ever, or suffer.....

Quick Reply: OEM shocks are terrible