Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM shocks are terrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't get these threads. I am about 220 (so about the same as the OP) and have NO complaints about the shocks. I put 40 pounds in the rear air shocks and NEVER bottom out and the ride is pleasant. It must be a matter of expectations. I don't expect it to ride like a Lincoln. I not only expect but want to have some road feel.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't get these threads.
Thats OK...you don't have to get it. As i said originally, i played with the pressure since i bought this bike and to me, they are sub-standard shocks. Apparently the roads near you, that you travel are in better shape then the ones i do. That would explain why you are completely happy with yours. All the power to you.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I'm not sure you will get the air right. Some say they have. I could not. I think it's more that some are willing to put up with the stock ride. I was not. Two things to toss out on a new Harley. Shocks and seat. I have JRI's. About 800.00 but well worth it IMO.
I've tried pressure at 2 lb increments since the bike was new. From zero, all the way to the 50lb maximum. If some found the sweet spot, great... i cant find it. Just junk shocks to me. Time for me to read up and shop for decent ones.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,479 Likes on 8,426 Posts

I don't get these threads. I am about 220 (so about the same as the OP) and have NO complaints about the shocks. I put 40 pounds in the rear air shocks and NEVER bottom out and the ride is pleasant. It must be a matter of expectations. I don't expect it to ride like a Lincoln. I not only expect but want to have some road feel.
How do you put air in just the rear shocks on a 11 King?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
I put the HD Premium Touring shocks on the rear of my '10 FLHTK and they work well with preload adjustment on the left side...$400 with 20% off...

The Premium Adjustables made a world of difference on my Limited.
Gonna do the fork cartridge upgrade next..........

Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drain the rear shocks and fill with heavier oil.

a $15 dollar experiment and you may surprise yourself.

It made a major ride improvement on my road king.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if any of you that whine about the shocks on these touring bikes have ever ridden a Dyna or a Sportster.I went through at least 4 sets of shocks on my Dyna and it never rode as good as my bone stock Limited.In fact Electraglide shocks are a popular low buck upgrade on Sportsters and even though they're woefully undersprung for a Dyna they still use them.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a difference from "road feel" to harsh. Also a difference between compliant and bouncy. Subtle to some. Blatant to me and many others. I could find no in-between with the stock air shocks as many have said. That said your comment that "I don't get these threads" means what? You disagree? You think we make this up? As much as I disagree with your position on this, I "get" and respect that others disagree and have their own opinions as you do.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

More power to you if you are happy with the stock shocks. I got to believe that the majority are in your camp.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I wonder if any of you that whine about the shocks on these touring bikes have ever ridden a Dyna or a Sportster.I went through at least 4 sets of shocks on my Dyna and it never rode as good as my bone stock Limited.In fact Electraglide shocks are a popular low buck upgrade on Sportsters and even though they're woefully undersprung for a Dyna they still use them.
Yes, ran my 05 XL1200C for 4-yrs on stockers and have to say they weren't as "harsh" as my 09 FLHX. Seems like too much air makes them ride like a brick & too little air...also rides like a brick.

Quick Reply: OEM shocks are terrible