Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,143 Likes on 12,208 Posts
Default Exhaust/Tuning Question

I've been wrestling with the noise vs power issue for awhile now. I have a 107 build with D&D Fatcat "quiet" baffle and Screaming Eagle tuner. The Fatcat is too loud for me on long trips. We move along pretty well and in the 3000 RPM range and up it's like a jack hammer on the right side of my head.

So the questions....

What are the odds I can take off the D&D and bolt on a Supertrapp 2/1 with baffles without doing a tune?

Is the Supertrapp with baffle/discs a good choice as far as low noise vs HP?

I'm at 96/116. How much do you think I will lose by going quiet?

Do duals cost even more HP?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks all - appreciated as always.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

I have an S&S 107" Evo at 101/107 using a SuperMeg 2-into-1. I changed from TDs and had it set up for each system on a dyno, by the same guy. If you want the best out of your bike, just get it done properly! Mine is absolutely wonderful and runs much better than the TD setup. I lost a couple of HP, but gained 15% better torque in the low/mid range over the TDs and the engine is much smoother running now. It is so much better than with the TDs.

In addition, use ear plugs! We were told of the danger of noise and damage to our hearing back in the 70s, a message that still bears repeating. Doesn't matter what exhaust you have, riding at speed is darned NOISY!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Subscribing, I have the S/T with open end caps and have the same problems. If I put the closed end cap on it is managable, but Im afraid the closed cap is going to restrict too much heat and kill the motor.
Ihad a 103 on a previous build putting out 95/100+ and the ST with closed cap was nice 10 days on the road and was stereo friendly, last summer the motor started acting up in the heat and found the crank had excessive run out.
So now its still a 103 but bumped up the comp with 585 cams and MVA heads, it was tuned with open cap that runs like a raped ape, but the noise is a whole different level of loud and my ears are still ringing from a 200 mile ride yesterday.
Im thinking of looking at hi output V&H 2:1 with a quiet baffle if Im not satisfied after I speak with S/T about flow restriction results running a closed cap.
To answer your question yes duals will rob you of power because the 2:1 has a scavenging affect that produces higher numbers especially on low end, all I can say about the quiet baffle is I tried that on a set of reinharts on a softail and it robbed about 18hp, so said that tuner. I think things may be a little better these days with a quiet baffle. Curious now to see what feedback this thread brings.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Further to my previous post I am running 585 cam with closed end cap and the full set of baffles the pipe came with, stock S&S 9.5:1 CR. No power problems, nor excess noise here! If it will get more HP with an open end cap I ain't interested......

Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I do wear ear plugs, but sometimes it's nice not wearing them. I didn't need them on my BMWs because I had a "quiet" fairing and the exhaust was whisper quiet. I actually went through a bit of effort in making that bike ear friendly.

In it's stock form, the Ultra was manageable at speed. One could barely hear the exhaust and the wind noise was tolerable. But now, the Fatcat is just too loud at power. Just cruising it's fine and sounds great. But on the pipe, it's pretty harsh. Cheryl likes it. But, as I get older, my ears are starting to dislike certain noises. I'll probably be chasing kids off my lawn before long.

bagman - I would be interested in hearing how that turns out for you.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm running stock '09 2-1-2 header (soon to be Fullsack X header and re dynoed) with dual Fatshotz 16 disc open caps. My 103 without headwork makes 109tq - 99hp. It isn't loud to me and I can hear the stereo just fine. Tried closed caps but lost alot of power on my butt dyno?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I've been wrestling with the noise vs power issue for awhile now. I have a 107 build with D&D Fatcat "quiet" baffle and Screaming Eagle tuner. The Fatcat is too loud for me on long trips. We move along pretty well and in the 3000 RPM range and up it's like a jack hammer on the right side of my head.

So the questions....

What are the odds I can take off the D&D and bolt on a Supertrapp 2/1 with baffles without doing a tune?

Is the Supertrapp with baffle/discs a good choice as far as low noise vs HP?

I'm at 96/116. How much do you think I will lose by going quiet?

Do duals cost even more HP?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks all - appreciated as always.
Just curious about your "quiet" Fat Cat baffle. I'm in the same situation with a stock 96". Is yours the D&D Fat Cat Concentric Baffle? It is my understanding from D&D that their Concentric quiet baffle is for stock 96" motors ONLY. I've also heard the D&D Concentric baffle will rob a 96" of HP. In fact, one tuner in my area said he tuned 3 bikes with the Concentric baffle and the owners all went back to the standard baffle because of power loss.

Having bought my bike used, it either has a D&D Perforated or Perforated Wrapped baffle. I'm thinking it is the standard Perforated. I currently have a Perforated Wrapped on order with a different cut (Slant Cut) to match my extended bags. Hope all works out for you and I'll stay subscribed.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

bagman - I would be interested in hearing how that turns out for you.
I am interested in being able to hear again too! lol
Sure thing, In reality after I talk to S/T I just may go back to the closed cap, I hate to spend more money on another exhaust system. FWIW S/T told me the open cap has the equivalent of 10 discs.
I try to wear ear plugs sometimes I forget to put them in. I just now am trying the wind tamer motorcycle ear plugs they have an acoustic filter in them.

Last edited by bagman1; 07-15-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DavesFLHX
Just curious about your "quiet" Fat Cat baffle. I'm in the same situation with a stock 96". Is yours the D&D Fat Cat Concentric Baffle?
Mine's the perforated wrapped baffle. Supposedly for bikes up to 110 C.I.

How much they getting you for that baffle? I would probably send you my whole system for the price of the baffle. Mines the back slash to match the angle of the bags.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine's the perforated wrapped baffle. Supposedly for bikes up to 110 C.I.

How much they getting you for that baffle? I would probably send you my whole system for the price of the baffle. Mines the back slash to match the angle of the bags.

So the Perf Wrapped is still too loud? I was hoping it would be quieter than what I have. Pretty sure I have the standard Perf.

They're getting for me a little over 3 bills for the Perf Wrapped muffler. It's on order, don't know if I can cancel at this point. What would you take for the muffler only? Your cut (D&D calls it Slant Cut) is what I have on order.

Last edited by PopsHD; 07-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Tuning Question