Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Seat Has Wrinkles

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013 | 05:07 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Dennis Kirk is where I get a lot of my parts and accessories, they do a great job. As far as Mustang seats; I know there are a lot fans here on the forums but I'm generally unimpressed. They don't fit like an OEM or other aftermarket seats in my experience. Just a week or two ago a fellow forum member and I rode up to a place called the Iron Pony (a motorcycle mail order house with a showroom) and he bought a Mustang solo seat for his 2013 Fat Bob. It was clear from the git go that it didn't fit the bike. I'm not sure what they use to model the seat pans but you shouldn't have to fight tooth and nail to get it on the bike.

Old 07-20-2013 | 05:24 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

I dont know about yall but the damn pictures in the earlier posts look the same to me. I would of just let it sit in the sun to see if that would fix it first.

Old 07-20-2013 | 06:18 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Those are better than the used Mustang seat that was to me!It was suppose to be new.

Old 07-20-2013 | 08:39 AM
dontdropit
|
Stellar HDF Member

I can understand someone looking at the pics and having the opinion that there isn't much difference, but there certainly is a difference. The overhead angle of the pics isn't the best to show the wrinkles, something at eye level would have been best to see the wrinkles, but I just put it in the floor stood over it and took the picture with my phone. The wrinkles on the worst side of the seat was 1/4 inch high, that's too much as far as I'm concerned. I also placed the seat in direct sunlight for six hours, that made no difference. Another concern I had was this, would the wrinkles get bigger after the seat was broken in and the skin stretched a little? Bottom line is the seat had wrinkles and a rep from Mustang said it should not have any wrinkles, send it back for a replacement. I did and now have a seat without wrinkles. We are now both happy, I have a nice smooth Mustang seat, and Mustang wanted me to have a nice smooth seat. As for me I will most definitely consider Mustang for my seating needs in the future. I have never had a rep from any company approach me and say send that item back and get a replacement right away. I have to say again Mustang impressed me.

Old 07-20-2013 | 08:43 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Good deal, long as you are happy. Pics dont do some things justice.

Old 07-20-2013 | 08:44 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
I dont know about yall but the damn pictures in the earlier posts look the same to me. I would of just let it sit in the sun to see if that would fix it first.
Seriously? Glasses on ;-)

Old 07-20-2013 | 08:57 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

LOL. Never claimed to have 20/20

Old 07-20-2013 | 09:03 AM
Vincewd
Road Master

Originally Posted by dontdropit
The replacement seat from Dennis Kirk arrived today. As you can see it's a bit tighter in the rear corners of the driver section as compared to the first seat. The return process was easy and Dennis Kirk sent the replacement right away. The whole process was done in a week. I'll try the seat on to see how it fits a little later, but this one looks good.
They look the same to me.Maybe the first one a little more loose fitting then the 2nd.

Last edited by Vincewd; 07-20-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2013 | 05:58 PM
fammdw
Novice

I know this is an old thread, but I ordered a Mustang 79556 Super Touring seat from Dennis Kirk and when it came it had a wrinkle in the vinyl and lump in the foam all the way across the back portion of the driver's seat. Sent it back to DK and exchanged it for another. That seat was worse than the first one. Contacted Mustang and sent them pictures and the serial number of my latest seat and they informed me it was one of a bad batch of seats they sent out after a materials change.

Mustang sent me a shipping label and RMA # to return the seat to them so they could rebuild it. So far, I'm happy with the customer service I've received from Mustang. I'm looking forward to getting the seat back from them to see if the issue has been addressed. After two seats in a row from Dennis Kirk being bad, I was leery of sending the second one back to them for another exchange.