Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Choppers Prime Apes install...nothing works...what a nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
kurt84
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA Choppers Prime Apes install...nothing works...what a nightmare!

I started my project last night...took about 2 hours to remove everything. At that point I was extremely happy with how smoothly things were progressing. Then, at 6 am, I started soldering on the extensions...time consuming, but still no problems. That is when the nightmare started...running the wires through the bars. It took about 5 hours of shredding wire covering to finally find the weld that was protruding 1/2" inside the bars (borrowed a buddies bore scope). With some work, I got the weld out, resoldered all new wiring in, and got the wires fed through.

But, that was only the start. After all that building frustration, I thought I should test everything. I mounted the bars, connected the plugs and the battery, reinstalled the ignition switch to give it a test....nothing happened. I mean absolutely nothing.

At this point, I decided to give it up for the night and just think about it for a while. Once I thought about it...maybe it was because I still hadnt reinstalled the tank or the turn signals yet. Those bars had me so ticked off, that I thought it was better that I just quit for the evening. All fuses are good...battery is good...I rechecked connections.....

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I am experiencing? Thanks

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohm out all the switches etc.

Get out your electrical wiring manual and check all the wires and switches and switch positions to make sure they are all good and start from there.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
iamtylerdurden
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Double check your wiring if you had to extend the harness.

Also check the pins inside to make sure all are pushed in.

Does anything work? Radio, horn, lights, etc?

Also take a look under the ignition housing. On mine one of the wires had backed out slightly where the pin wasn't making contact.

And take a break if gets too frustrating. That's how I always end up breaking or stripping something.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM
bosshog919
Tourer
Default Harness

Few??s prior to starting did u write down all the wire positions while still in the harness...did u check ALL the connectors tht u soldered and make sure the wires go in the correct spot in the harness? Ok that's it!!! Gud luck!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

Did you plug the radio back in?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
flhxmc
Tourer

Keep Calm and check your molex connectors to make sure everything is pinned right. If you look against the manual there are wire numbers on the sides of the connectors as references. One problem I had was that I never pushed back in the lock on the inside of the connector. The connectors would go together however they were not locking.

Mike

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a deep breath, and start over. Check all your solder connections with an ohm meter, check all sheathing, check to make sure all pins are in the right locations. If you can't stomach the thought, your only other choice would be to take out the checkbook.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
vtdiesel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the 10 inch twin peaks and I didn't have to extend. I pulled all pins from the connectors after making my own schematic. I went to napa and bought roll of heat shrink. I used a small diameter cable I got at the hardware store and used that as a snake but first I tied a nut on to a piece of fishing line as a starter snake. I used a little Vaseline to lubricate the heat shrink as I had a friend pull and I fed. The heat shrink shrank the diameter of the wires a ton and made for a clean install. If you do extend your wires remember to stagger the splices so they aren't all bunched in one spot. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
kurt84
Advanced

I was very meticulous about the wiring....absolutely nothing works. Battery was disconnected before I started, all connectors snapped into place and plugs checked and re-checked. I just cant believe that absolutly nothing happens when I turn the switch. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.....no lights, dash...nothing. The only thing I could think of is having the fuel tank disconnected. I thought it may be a safety feature like the inertia switch in some fuel injected cars. I would understand if some things worked and others didnt, but absolutely nothing happens when the switch is turned. I was checking out things AGAIN just a few minutes ago, and I cant find anything wrong.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you pull the Maxifuse?

Quick Reply: LA Choppers Prime Apes install...nothing works...what a nightmare!