Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Choppers Prime Apes install...nothing works...what a nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt84
I was very meticulous about the wiring....absolutely nothing works. Battery was disconnected before I started, all connectors snapped into place and plugs checked and re-checked. I just cant believe that absolutly nothing happens when I turn the switch. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.....no lights, dash...nothing. The only thing I could think of is having the fuel tank disconnected. I thought it may be a safety feature like the inertia switch in some fuel injected cars. I would understand if some things worked and others didnt, but absolutely nothing happens when the switch is turned. I was checking out things AGAIN just a few minutes ago, and I cant find anything wrong.
I was careful too, but with pushing, pulling, twisting, etc - I had a broken wire connection at the base of a molex pin....... But I know your pain!!! Apes kicked my butt for a couple days, I cried uncle, and called BR. He sent me a set of apes with wires ran in them. Bars were a little pricey (but I think worth it) but he only charges I think $50-$60 to run the wires in his bars...... Best $50 I ever spent. Just soldered on switches and plugs to his pre-ran wires and threw them on the bike......

Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM
06redneck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt84
I was very meticulous about the wiring....absolutely nothing works. Battery was disconnected before I started, all connectors snapped into place and plugs checked and re-checked. I just cant believe that absolutly nothing happens when I turn the switch. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.....no lights, dash...nothing. The only thing I could think of is having the fuel tank disconnected. I thought it may be a safety feature like the inertia switch in some fuel injected cars. I would understand if some things worked and others didnt, but absolutely nothing happens when the switch is turned. I was checking out things AGAIN just a few minutes ago, and I cant find anything wrong.
Take 10mins to lay your tank back up there and plug it in for a quick check without bolting everything up. Im pretty sure the fuel pump is needed to complete the circuit. I could be wrong, but I would try before trouble shooting further. Sometimes it the simple things. I wired up a hogtunes sound system with an amp, freaked out when I didn't have power to the amp. After checking all the wiring,etc...I realized that the cigarette lighter outlet did not have a fuse. Like I said, sometimes its the simple things. Put the gas tank back on for a quick check.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Also a possibility that you could have your ignition switch out of alignment. You won't get any fire to anything if that's the case.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

When I did mine, I staggered the wire splices as not to bunch the soldering in one place and heat shrunk each wire so that any solder welds dont rub on anything. I also drew diagrams with the corresponding wire colors to the molex. I also covered the wire bunch real tight and greased em before running em down the bars. If the connectors are right and I were you I would pull everything back out and re-check every wire you spliced making sure nothing happened during the pull which is the danger point where things can go wrong. If nothing comes on, and I were to guess what might have gone wrong I would say the molex reconnect might have been mixed up. I had to redo several wires even with the diagram because of the similarities with colors. Def don't loose it or you can really pooch it further.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Your tank need not be connected to have the bars work properly. You can skip over that idea.

When you say that absolutely NOTHING happens, I am going to take you very literally.

When removing the batwing fairing, there are many plugs that are disconnected, including the plug/wiring for the ignition switch itself.

Take another look at the other wiring harnesses, and make sure that all connections are made. I am betting that there is another connection that hasn't been completed yet, leading to nothing happening.

Also, take a look at the maxifuse as well. It's outside the main fuse box, and I believe it's 40 amps. It's physically larger than the mini fuses used in the main fuse box.

Hope you get it sorted!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
suban
Advanced

Ignition key could very well be the issue. It can click but not turn anything on.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine the first time I didn't have the pins set properly in the connectors. I actually had them to deep and the whole connector did not snap back together properly which held the pins to far away from penetrating the bike end of things. Hence no actual connection and all dead as your describing. After correcting that, the bike fired right up.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
kurt84
Advanced

I got it fixed...it was the ignition switch not reassembled properly. It hit me this morning when I sent someone a PM regarding my problem. Some how I didnt get it together the right way, so absolutely nothing worked when it was turned.

I just came back from a test ride and all is good. Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop and get some miles on it. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Last edited by kurt84; 07-10-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling typos
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Glad you got it all figured out and are back in the saddle.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Mathnerd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 13" Prime Apes on two bikes now and did the install on both. It was not near the trouble the first time through. Just a little more trouble the second time with TBW but in the end is is all worth the trouble. The comfort improvement is huge. You will love them.

Quick Reply: LA Choppers Prime Apes install...nothing works...what a nightmare!