Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Fairing Uksays

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
07classic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inner Fairing Uksays

The torx screws you are talking about are called tamper proof and they make special torx bits to remove them.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 07classic

The torx screws you are talking about are called tamper proof and they make special torx bits to remove them.
Where are they located? (These tamperproof fasteners)
As seen in the picture attached , my entire ignition came right out useing the "T" handle allen. As you can see I reassembled the entire upper cap including the ignition lock assembly prior to reassembly on the bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18109/8AEDF59B9B9249EFADA49A396550BDF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Fly Fast
Cruiser

The ignition switch came out with a push of a pin on the bottom of the switch. I picked up the service manual. The problem I have is the throttle cables. Stuch here right now.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 AM
mason417
Cruiser

I did the same thing till I bought THE BOOK. I do know what I was thinking taking on a task without it

Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Fly Fast

The ignition switch came out with a push of a pin on the bottom of the switch. I picked up the service manual. The problem I have is the throttle cables. Stuch here right now.
The lock assembly came out with the push of the button under it(That was the easy part), I removed the entire Ignition switch, after not wanting to destroy the piece under the lock assembly.
Just unplugged the harness, removed two allen screws and out it came with the fairing cap.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Fly Fast

Yoy will need to remove the righthand controls, and take the throttle cables out of the housing. When removing the cables from the grip, be real careful of the brass ferrels on the ends of the cables, they are not attached and will fall out, as you remove the cable.

Once the cables are free, you can wiggle the ends out of the housing.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Fly Fast
Cruiser

As far as the wiggle the throttle and idle cables and it comes out, negative. I worked on it for over an hour with WD40 too. I had to finally cut the cable. The bike is being picked up this week to have HD re-install the fairing and install crome housings on both sides an braided cables all around. I have never seen such a bad design as the throttle cables. Going in looks easy, but coming out no. Oh well. at least I know the re-install will be done right.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you remove the clips on the inside of the switch housing they come right out. It is funny I did this just this morning to my 07 Ultra. I will have to replace one of the clips I got rough with it and bent it to much to reuse. The book everyone here mentioned is worth it's weight in gold bars when you consider what you tear up and the time you waste removing it and going to the H~D store to fix what you screwed up.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine on Tuesday, there wasn't much to it really.It took less than an hour, but, I had the tank off and the fairing open for other work.However, I did have the manual and I've seen it done, so I had that going for me.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Fly Fast
Cruiser

After I started, I went the next day and got the manual. It is very helpful. I did not have enough room to get at the retainer rings. You (Tinkermc)
are much better than I, and I'm pretty good. I should have the painted inner back today and HD is going to pick up the bike tomorrow. They can put it back together and do the 1000 mile too. Bought the Road ZeppelinĀ® Air Adjustable Pillow-Look Seat. Can't wait to put my keyster on that. If your not comfortable, its just not that fun. I figured all the goodies I put on the bike I might as well spend the 900.00 on my butt.

Quick Reply: Inner Fairing Uksays