Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which aftermarket Batwing fairing looks OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Ive seen a lot of aftermarket batwing fairings , many of them dont fit with the same angles as a stock fairing. They are often tilted forward and dont look quite right to me.

The Reckless and Dead Center seem to be the better fitting batwing fairings that Ive seen.

It might also be the way the owners have mounted them as well?

I had a Memphis Shades on my Fatboy and I had to do some grinding and elongating the mounting slots to get it to lay back the way I thought it should to look like it belonged on the bike

Old 07-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have looked at all those listed. I wanted a stock look also. So I built my own out of stock parts.

It is fully detachable and uses the stock windshield as the base.

Last edited by Pumba11; 07-09-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I have looked at all those listed. I wanted a stock look also. So I built my own out of stock parts.

It is fully detachable and uses the stock windshield as the base.

That is interesting. Any other pics or details on how you did it?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
Ive seen a lot of aftermarket batwing fairings , many of them dont fit with the same angles as a stock fairing. They are often tilted forward and dont look quite right to me.
I don't think any of the aftermarket fairings sit at the same angle as stock. Dead Center and Dragonfly are the best looking fairings of the bunch, but you need to work with the fairing brackets to get them sitting lower over the headlight, and at the right angle. I had a Dragonfly for about three years. It was solid, and very well built, but I never got past the "aftermarket" look.

After I raked my neck 10 degrees, the fairing was finally sitting at about the right angle, but I didn't like the way it fit with my aftermarket nacelle, so I sold the whole lot.

I think lots of guys buy detach fairings, thinking they'll be putting it on, and taking it off as the mood and weather fits. However, the reality is, (if you're like most guys), you'll mount up the fairing, and almost never remove it. I liked having tunes with me, and it made long rides much more comfortable. After awhile, mine almost never came off.

But I wanted more. I wanted the fairing mounted gauges, and I wanted handlebar mounted radio controls. I finally decided that I wasn't going to ever be really happy with an aftermarket fairing, and converted my bike to an OEM Road Glide fairing.

Last edited by Mike; 07-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
That is interesting. Any other pics or details on how you did it?
FN...think of it this way, in it's simplist form. Take a stock RK windshield. Now take a stock outer fairing and a stock inner fairing and clamshell them on either side of the windshield. Drill three holes in the windshield for which to pass the bolts that attach the two outer pieces together and there you go!

If you are inclined to do your own fabrication, the job is basically a lot of cutting, trimming and fitting the three pieces together. If you want more specific info and pics, PM me.

And Boogaloodude, I think a lot of guys do leave the fairing on much of the time. But I got to admit I couldn't wait to get mine off after my recent 2,900 mile tour. I use the fairing for long touring because from Minnesota we really don't have much of a choice but to ride through 1 or 2 days of boring prairie to get anywhere, and that is where I want tunes. But other than that I much prefer the windshield.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
ken6217
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I forgot to ask. How do these perform? Do they wobble or shake?
Ken

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 PM
JoshD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a little old but it is exactly what i have been looking for. i decided to add a fairing to my heritage and decided to go with an OEM street glide setup due to the versatility of the inner fairing. I am unsure how to get it setup right ie: what to cut where to cut so on. Pumba11, i tried to PM you but i havent posted enough for that privilege i would guess(i like to get on here and read but have a hard time contributing). Any advise or tips are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ericl
Here's my 2010 RKC with a Dragonfly Fairing

Fairing looks good on there. Really nice looking bike

Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Deadcenter that I bought after a lot of research and glad I did.
Agreed it doesn't look stock but I'm happy with it, great quality, fit and customer service.
Dragonfly's look good and owners are happy once they get them but do a search for customer service problems.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 AM
JoshD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of the dead center and the dragon fly fairings. The only things that holds me back on an aftermarket fairing are, it has to be ABS not fiberglass, and i also like the idea of fairing mounted gauges. However, my current setup is a 2000 heritage classic with mini apes and i don't think an OEM street glide inner will fit. Are there any aftermarket options that offer gauges?

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket Batwing fairing looks OEM?