Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG Custom ride improvement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 AM
rabell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RG Custom ride improvement

New rider here. Renting bikes to help make decision on what to buy. RIght now I'm thinking about an RG. Undecided whether custom or ultra. Love the looks of the custom, but the wife's comment was it 'rides like a log wagon'. What are some ways to improve the passenger ride without sacrificing the looks/stance of the custom?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I got the Ultra and made the TP detachable, picked up a used SG seat and rear shocks (same as RGC). Switch out as needed when moma wants to ride.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM
rabell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. That's what it's starting to look like. Sure wish the RGU came i Sedona Orange!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 AM
dmize
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO... the colors on the customs are better. Get the custom and add the TP, lowers and seat. Customs look better than the ultras.

Don't settle for a color your not crazy about... you'll be kicking yourself for years.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Just buying a second seat for the Custom will help the wife. The stock Custom seat isn't much for the passenger.

Even though the shocks on the Custom aren't quite as comfy as the Ultra it shouldn't ride like a Log Wagon.
If it's like my dealers, the air in the shocks may have been low on the Custom also.
My 2009 Street Glide was delivered with 15 lbs of air and it needs to be at least 22 solo and 35 double.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dmize
IMO... the colors on the customs are better. Get the custom and add the TP, lowers and seat. Customs look better than the ultras.

Don't settle for a color your not crazy about... you'll be kicking yourself for years.
I agree, buy the color you want, you can do something about the seat and shocks pretty easy.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by rabell
.....Undecided whether custom or ultra. ....What are some ways to improve the passenger ride without sacrificing the looks/stance of the custom?
........ were it I, i'd go Ultra, waay more bang 4 buck
..... but the Custom does have better colors
....... get Mama a King TP & and someone else's take off Ultra saddle & everybody B happy !
..... you can also switch out to the 1" longer Ultra shocks w/o totally phkng up the aggressive stance

Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 344 Likes on 141 Posts

Get your color, the orange is awesome. Everything else is easy to change. I can change my custom from solo to two up in minutes and back again.

My experience, without a different seat, your passenger will never be comfortable on anything more than a short ride to dinner. The sundowner worked for us, and is is so much better for me that I usually leave it on all of the time even when riding solo.

Play with the shock pressure. It took me a while to dial it in for solo and two up. Once you find that perfect setting, she will be fine. If she feels like it is log wagon harsh, they are probably to tight. Five pounds of pressure can make a huge difference. Get one of the Harley hand pumps and you can add or take away a pound of air at a time.

Foot boards for the passenger will enhance her comfort because she can load her feet during stops, reposition her feet, etc.
A windvest windshield made a huge difference for me and my wife. The wind on RG customs can beat up a passenger pretty bad.

The Ultra is the best bang for your dollars, no doubt. You can outfit a custom with goodies and have more in it than an ultra will cost out the door, and still not have everything the ultra has.
In my opinion, a stripped down ultra looks like a stripped down ultra. Never will look as good as a custom. Again, just my opinion.

If rumors are true, you better lock onto something soon because it sounds like the current inventory is it. No telling what the redesign will be like and it is a year away.

Spend wisely, but get what you will be happy with for the long haul.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

get the custom the colors and graphics are better , you can add what ever you want when you need it

Attached Thumbnails RG Custom ride improvement-imag0163-1-.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rabell
New rider here. Renting bikes to help make decision on what to buy. RIght now I'm thinking about an RG. Undecided whether custom or ultra. Love the looks of the custom, but the wife's comment was it 'rides like a log wagon'. What are some ways to improve the passenger ride without sacrificing the looks/stance of the custom?
As many said, you have to play with the pressure in the shocks. It makes a MASSIVE difference. Check the owner's manual for the table that shows where the pressure should be for the weight of you and your wife. Start there and play with it up and down in 5lb increments.

If that doesn't do enough, start looking at seats. But the air pressure thing will probably make a big difference. You likely rode two bikes with very different settings and that is what she noticed.

Quick Reply: RG Custom ride improvement