Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM:P2138 TPS correlation error,after getting rained on

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ECM:P2138 TPS correlation error,after getting rained on

Got caught in the rain again a few days ago. When I got the bike out this morning my guages were foggy, It happens time to time. But when I started it up my throttle was crazy twitchy for a few seconds then engine light came on. shut it off for a min, restarted seemed ok till riding then Vroom,engine light again.took it right home and looked at the stored DTC codes and along with ECM:P2138 Twistgrip position sensor correlation error, there was ECM:P1510 Throttle actuator control limited performance,and TACH:U1016 HIST Loss of ICM/ECM serial data Instruments, and TACH:U1040 HIST Loss of ABS serial data. Ive pulled the fairing,seat,side covers opend the switch housings on the handlebars, checking connections,lubeing with dielectric grease,letting it all air out. Do y'all think this is something that will clear up when dried out or should I take it in for service tomorrow? Local dealer closed for 4th,not much else I can think of.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM
macked
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like moisture in the green plug on TBW.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply macked,
I dont see a green plug, is it way up under the gas tank? or console? there are 2 green 30 amp fuses, The one labled spare did have a little corrosion.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:07 PM
macked
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Thanks for the quick reply macked,
I dont see a green plug, is it way up under the gas tank? or console? there are 2 green 30 amp fuses, The one labled spare did have a little corrosion.
The green plug I was referring to is run inside the handbars. Its the plug the throttle by wire is connected to. I have heard of many people having issues with it and the symptoms are pretty much exactly what you describe.

Unfortunately the only way to gain access to it is to take off the bars.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

I pushed the wires back up inside the bars far enough to expose the whole assembly, couldnt tell much by lookin at it, but it was all dry as a bone inside.wasnt about to pop that open,spring loaded switch an all. I have heard of problems with the TBW twist. probably just a coincidence. Its been raining all freakin month. Looks like a ride down to the dealer ASAP.Glad I have extended warranty. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
I pushed the wires back up inside the bars far enough to expose the whole assembly, couldnt tell much by lookin at it, but it was all dry as a bone inside.wasnt about to pop that open,spring loaded switch an all. I have heard of problems with the TBW twist. probably just a coincidence. Its been raining all freakin month. Looks like a ride down to the dealer ASAP.Glad I have extended warranty. Thanks again.
Got caught in rain last night and same problem today with the P2138 and P1510. Did u find anything out.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

No, I put most of it back together,took the time to do some deep cleaning it needed. hope drying out in the garage overnight will help. gonna call HD tomorrow and see if they got parts on hand and arent gonna give me a hassle with warranty.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Check the TBW plug by the air cleaner. I would coat the connector with dielectric grease before plugging it back in.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Interesting to me that this is the third post related to the same topic in a couple of weeks. I have been fighting the same problem on my 2010 Street Glide for a few weeks now. So far I have deleted the green plug (spliced and soldered the wires then put heat shrink over the splice), replaced the twist grip sensor (no change), cleaned and de-electric greased the TCA connector (six pin connecter on the throttle body toward the rear of the bike). Same three codes on my bike intermittently.

P 1510 limited performance
P 2127 TGS2 open / low
P 2138 TGS2 high

If you figure it out let me know, my bike goes into the dealer next Tuesday for a Thursday appointment.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't look to see what year bikes everyone was running, but I too had this problem in the beginning of May while coming home from a trip. Mine was a little more of a pain in the ***** because I went into limp more three times. Luckily my Powervision was with mie and I was able to clear the codes to get rolling. When I brought it into the dealer to be checked one of the techs that I trust informed me that the lower most wiring on the actuator assembly has been the culprit of many of these problems. That bottom (I believe black wire) is the shortest and gets stretched because of the sharp bend it must make. After all the vibration and heat in that area it ends up breaking iside of the jacket and causes a small short. He clips the wire, extends it and in almost all cases that eliminates the problem.

I am not saying that is the problem here, but you might want to check that wire as well. When he showed mine to me you could tell it was stressed by the insulation on the wire.

Quick Reply: ECM:P2138 TPS correlation error,after getting rained on